ADVERTISEMENT

This Game Is Missouri

This game reflects Missouri. Not the University, the Team, or the Coach. The response by this
board represents all that is Missouri. Missouri’s strength is it people, but Missouri’s greatest weakness is the simplistic mindset and attitude of many of its people. This game was incredibly disappointing, but to be going off on Coach Drink for mistakes mental and physical made by players is crazy. They are developing a pretty good D, much improved over last year, and to go off on any players is totally immature.
Reactions: faurotfield

A 3-9 season is on the table

Auburn had its 3rd-string QB — and even had to use its 4th-stringer at one point. And they still beat us. South Carolina and Vandy both look better than Auburn. Aside from New Mexico State, this may have been the most winnable game left on the schedule. A 3-9 season is definitely on the table.

And now we get to follow it up with a blowout loss to Georgia that will wreck any confidence our defense may have gained today.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we see crowds under 20,000 the rest of the season. Anyone spending money on this team is a masochist.

FOOTBALL HALFTIME THOUGHTS

This is a "depends on how you look at it situation"

If you choose to say "why in the world does Missouri come out looking like it doesn't know what time the game starts until it is behind two touchdowns?" I understand that.

If you choose to say "Hey, credit Missouri for righting the ship and getting back in the game before halftime when it looked like it was over" I understand that.

Both are valid and neither is wrong.

Mizzou has been outscored 193-88 in the first quarter against Power Five competition under Eli Drinkwitz. No way to spin that. That's awful. That's just not being prepared. However, the Tigers didn't quit on this day. The defense suddenly starting plays, the offense found some things that worked and they've got a shot.

We've seen some adjustments today. A lot of two-back sets with Cody Schrader and Nate Peat out there. Kibet Chepyator is the only tight end who has seen significant time. Mizzou has also used a lot of sets with six linemen. When Zeke Powell went out, Mitchell Walters stayed at right guard, Connor Wood moved out to right tackle and Armand Membou was the extra linemen.

Defensively, we've seen a lot of five-man fronts playing three defensive tackles. The Tigers also had a look on third and long with Daylan Carnell at deep safety in a 3-3-5.

In other words, Missouri's staff is definitely trying some different things.

Tough to overstate the importance of this half. Mizzou came in and looked like it was ready to let Auburn have its way. But Auburn refused to take advantage of it. Missouri has to close this thing out and win. That didn't seem possible at the start of the second quarter, but given the reprieve they have to take advantage.

Screen Shot 2022-09-24 at 12.36.24 PM.png

Not going to pretend this one doesn’t hurt

Hopefully Drink keeps the team’s head in it. Extremely tough when guys who are normally dependable/leaders make costly mistakes.

That out the way, I feel better about this team than I did after last week.

- They need to stick with that Gap scheme in the run game.
- Stop putting yourself behind the chains on 1st down.

P.S. I want to see more of 2 dudes. Carnell and T. Jones. (I think both of these cats are different.)
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT