ADVERTISEMENT

A little Saturday inspiration

MizTarney

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2017
Columbia, MO
Just have to share with y’all. My 14yo is non-speaking with autism and spent the last two days with a practitioner to learn to spell to communicate (S2C). My husband and I have been taking a zoom class to learn ourselves but it has been rocky. Took him to someone who knows what they’re doing and he knocked it out of the park. He answered questions from his lessons. He spelled prehistoric, overpowering, apraxia, and a lot more. When asked what he wanted to learn about the human body - he spelled “motor sensitivity” 😱. I’ve always known the kid was smart AF. When he was 16mo old he was doing logic puzzles 16mo shouldn’t be able to do. We just thought we were super awesome parents raising a genius 🤣. Then he had a motor regression and apraxia / autism took hold and I’ve forever fought for his worth. The S2C is somewhat controversial - but no one anywhere else was offering us any solutions except sending him to school everyday to learn how to shop. So we’ve jumped into S2C. Bummer is that closest practitioner is in Tulsa - so we will be doing some periodic traveling until that changes. But we’re walking on clouds here finally seeing hope to get the amazing out of him and have people see him for the amazing that we’ve always known he is.

I just had to share. Enjoy your Saturday. Instead of watching the travesty that is Tiger basketball - we’re taking the little to see Mirabel at Disney on Ice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News