ADVERTISEMENT

Democrats getting Hawkish vs Putin

Will_L

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 12, 2003
I think we all feel for Ukraine and have nothing less than disgust for Putin and Russia action.

A bit of history. Russia went into and took over Crimea and began a war in Eastern Ukraine in 2014. Obama administration did essentially nothing. They issued mild sanctions against Russia and sent blankets to Ukrainians fighting in Eastern Ukraine but no weapons.

The Trump administration began sending arms and trainers. A flap the dems used for impeachment occurred when Trump delayed shipments but the agreed on arms were released.

The Biden administration twice held up arms shipments to not anger Putin. Those too were finally shipped. For the longest time leading up to the war we heard more about what Russia was doing and about what we would not do.
It seemed every time Biden spoke he highlighted his devastating sanctions as deterrence if Russia invaded. But each time he assured that he would do nothing of an offensive nature and continued to claim his prime concern was not starting ww3 .when Ukraine wanted fighter aircraft Biden said that might start wW3. He continued to claim that Russia would be really really sorry if they invaded and our sanctions hit.

Biden's brain trust of generals with General Milley saying Kiev and Ukraine would fall in a week or less and Russia would install a puppet government. Then there would be a guerilla war.

When Ukraine resisted a few weeks Biden kept the "not starting WW3 " as his main statement. He flip flopped claiming the sanctions were not a deterrent and though quicker than pre invasion slow walked help to a nation under attack.

Little air and missile defense was supplied, no aircraft. That resulted in terrible devastation of civilian areas. But Biden kept saying we are giving them tank killers and anti aircraft weapons. Both shoulder fired and in air defense no defense from high altitude bombers or missiles.

For the entire time until the last week or ten days when asked the administration would say they were wanting to get Russia to the peace table.

Zelensky became a hero . I suspect that was the reason Biden went to Europe after first sending Harris on a laughable trip. I believe he saw it as a way to take some of the limelight as the man in charge of leading Europe. It did not go as scripted and his mispeaks undermined the plan.

In the last couple weeks you have seen the administration take a harsher tone. First Abrams said their goal was to wear out the Russian army. That sounded like they were content helping Ukraine just enough to keep Russians from achieving their goals while bleeding resources. They were asked and after hemming about it finally said they were wanting Ukraine to win. First time that was said was 2 months into the war.

Now today Nancy P , the most political astute if terribly partisan Democrat I've seen in Congress went to Kiev to meet with Zedlinski. She took only democrats. That tells me it was more of a political show than a delegation to offer support or find facts. Almost all such congressional trips tend to be no partisan.
Now the tone from Democrats has switched entirely and the rhetoric against Putin has escalated like they have always been all in to fighting this war. It's like they are now willing to give much more aid than when it would have been of most benefit but then declined and talked about not wanting to escalate.

This has to be a political calculation. If sending a message of solidarity, a big partisan group would have been effective.

I want Ukraine to win. I am just a bit concerned that this turn around is a desperate and perhaps dangerous political move. Do dems think they can use Ukraine's popularity with Americans as a political ploy. "We want to fight Russians more than GOP".

The need to now tell all the things we are going to send them to kill Russians is suddenly a Democrat talking point. Does it take heat off economy? The border about to explode?

I would feel better if we sent more killing machines and talked less about it. It seems this political desire to now be the brave and brash instead of the reluctant warriors as the dems began the fight could cause Putin to do something they originally said caused them to be paralyzed to act. They seem to be betting Putin is rational if they are playing this belated tough guy act. I hope that's true.

Curious, may be a totally honest change of heart, but sure was a 180. I hope their belated brave stance ends well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News