ADVERTISEMENT

History of Mizzou Athletic Directors...WHO was the BEST?

Graphic Edge Guy

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 24, 2001
Who is the best AD in Mizzou History when you look at the list on the attached link?

I'd say Don Faurot #1 and Mike Alden #2.

Faurot not only coached our football team to National prominence...he pulled the Athletic Department out of a $500,000 debt (a HUGE amount in the 1940's)...and he also hired Dan Devine.

I always thought that he hired Norm Stewart...but looking at this time line it looks like that hire was Dan Devine's. I did not realize that Devine was AD from 1967-70 during his latter years of Coaching. I remember his two year stint in the 90's and him hiring Larry Smith which resulted in a couple of good seasons in '97-'98.

Mike Alden hired (and showed smart patience with) Gary Pinkel...pulled our Athletic Department out of the Dark Ages in terms of funding and facilities...and ushered into the SEC.

We have had SEVEN Nationally ranked teams this school year and most programs are on pretty solid ground.

He takes a hit for the current state of our Men's Basketball program...but we did go to two Elite Eights on his watch and also moved into Mizzou Arena.

Who knows for sure how much interference he had with Basketball hires...but Quinn Snyder, Mike Anderson, and Frank Haith all looked good for while...but could not sustain the highest level of success and moved on.

Kim Anderson might look like a bad hire right now...but who knows if he can turn things around like HCGP if given some time?

As much grief as Alden has gotten on here...I think you can make an argument that he is in the TOP TWO AD's of all time here at Mizzou. Thoughts?

http://www.mutigers.com/genrel/030915aaa.html

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News