ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Kim Anderson: Hired to Fail

mugamer

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jan 29, 2012
I've pondered this thought for quite some time and as more news and information comes out, I am beginning to believe further that Mike Alden hired Kim Anderson with every expectation that he would not be successful and would be a cheap contract to buy out.

My reasoning is that MA would have had to offer some pretty impressive contracts to recruit a good coach to Mizzou. A good coach, he would have had to tell about these issues or risk having a large unmanageable contract violated and whatever penalties arise from that. A good coach, still might take a number of years to repair the program considering our roster issues upon Haith's departure, also raising the risk of Mizzou buying out a contract due to poor performance.

The safest option was to hire a "True Son" who still had a chance to succeed and wouldn't bolt as soon as these violations were made public and then sign him to a negligible contract that would be easy to buy out after the likely failure. HCKA would rebuild the roster some and then get the axe once Mizzou got through the worst of these sanctions.

It's shrewd, but he probably made the right long term decision at the time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News