ADVERTISEMENT

5 Thoughts for Monday - SCOTUS hearing hangover edition

ABaumli

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2005
September is over, crazy travel month, glad to be home with no current business trips for October. The change from September to October will always have a special place in my heart:

1. September 30th, 2014 was the date the Royals were to play in their first playoff game in 29 years, since before I could remember. My wife was about 10 days late with our second child (didn't know the gender in advance). My wife starts having contractions around 1 pm that day (who saw this coming). Now my first son was born via scheduled C section because he was supposed to be a giant, but was only 8 lbs, 5 oz in the end and was extracted a week early. Forrest, my 2nd born son, was only 6 lbs. 7 oz. So second child was what they call a V Back, where the mother delivers vaginally after having a c section with a previous child (the more you know). So I text about 4 buddies and tell them, wife is in labor, probably wont be able to watch game, please text me updates. They all agree. The ones that went to game, couldn't text me. Labor is going fine, guys are texting me, then Ned Yost brings in Yordano Ventura (RIP) to face Brandon Moss. BOOM, Moss Dong, and now the Royals seem to be out of it. Wife is still in labor, asking for drugs. I tell her no (she didn't want any in advance). Labor is going fine, some time passes, my phone is on the counter (not in my pocket). All of a sudden, my phone is vibrating, blowing up. Now I realize that somethign must have happened, the Royals must have come back. Why would friends be blowing up my phone this late unless the game is still ongoing. My wife on the other hand is not amused. I think she said "Eff your friends." Even though I wasn't paying attention to it, it was the only time she complained about the texting. Side note: We had a Doula, which I will always recommend. First off, women in labor will never trust a man (it's just facts). Second, the Doula can take care of all of the needs so that you aren't telling your wife to move, breath, etc. Seriously, worth every penny. Anyways, about 12:45 am on October 1st, the OB decides it is time to get the baby out now (heart rate dropped). My wife finishes pushing him out, cord is double wrapped around the neck. I guess my son spun in the canal like a bullet exiting a gun barrel (which makes sense given his personality). So Forrest wasn't breathing on his own. Not knowing that your child should be screaming when born, I am trying to take pictures until I see the PED nurse performing CPR on my son and I was like, HO LEE FUK. I actually kept my calm, just stopped taking pics. My wife on the bed was asking what was going. The nurses kept calm and the doula kept my wife calm (Worth every penny). My son started breathing after about 90 seconds, perked up, cried. They took over to my wife for about 5 min, then took him to NICU. Forrest ended up being fine. After we realized he was going to be ok, I checked my phone about 3 am. I followed the text timeline which was incredible. I have the MLB app (which I recommend) and watched the highlights until probably 5 am. September 30th, October 1st will always be 2 of the greatest days of my life. A few weeks later, I convinced my wife to let me go to Game 7 and leave her back in Dallas with a 2 year old and a 2 week old. Glorious. 90 feet from greatest WS Game 7 ever.
  2. Kavanaugh hearings. Can we just get this out of the way. The Dems want FBI investigation to delay confirmation until after mid terms. GOP doesn't want FBI investigation because they want to confirm him before midterm in case they lose majority of Senate and Dems deny to confirm any Trump appointee until after 2020. It's that simple. If Dems want to argue Marrick Garland, that is arguable. All the rest of this is CRAP. Lindsay Graham is correct, it is a SHAM. Dems didn't want FBI investigation in July or August, because that doesn't help them. It's this simple. What I really find depressing is this fodder from my lawyer colleagues, friends, classmates, etc. Liberals who never wanted the conservative Justice, point to his demeaner, etc. anything they can to say he shouldn't be appointed. NOT because they want another GOP Justice, but because they want a Dem justice. I compare this to Clay Travis' assault on Greg Schiano. When it was leaked that Schiano was going to be the next Tenn head coach, Travis didn't like it and went on a mission to get it stopped (which he did successfully). Travis knew that just saying Schiano sucking as a HC wouldn't stop it, so he went after Schiano's character because Schiano was on the staff at Penn State when the Sandusky stuff happened. There was no evidence or anything that Schiano knew about any of the Sandusky stuff, but that didn't matter to the MOB. Travis's assault on Schiano's character was about 90% Penn State, and 10% sucking as a HC. Travis was successful stopping the hiring of Schiano. I have hated that move because Travis did not care that Schiano was at PSU, he only cared because he didn't think Schiano would be a good HC for Tenn. BUT, he used the character assassination to get what he wanted. This is what about 95% of the liberals are doing right now with Judge Kavanaugh. What really bothers me is this "I Believe Her" trend. Let me take you back to a book that we were all forced to read in school, "To Kill A Mockingbird". It is very dangerous to just "believe" accusations. If you put a jury in that room that was 6 liberals and 6 GOP, half men, half women. You end up with a hung jury. I also despise the position of many, just put yourself in her position, look what she is going through without recognizing what Judge Kavanaugh is going through. I would be in favor of a compromise to solve this issue. I would be fine with delaying confirmation until after the midterms if: 1. Sen Feinstein resigns immediately and admits what she did. 2. The current Senate members vote at the conclusion of the FBI investigation which has to conclude by December 24th and the Senate votes on Dec 24 because EFF THEM.
  3. Sorry for the length. Update on Travel with kids. I valeted for trip to Cleveland this past weekend for wedding. It was $7 more per day and it was totally worth it for a 3 day trip for DFW airport. First off, we took off from one terminal and when we came back, landed at another terminal. Having Valet move your car to new terminal was SOOOOOO helpful.
  4. Kanye West wears MAGA hat and SNL dumps the session. Not shocking. Kanye was being a dumbass (which is not uncommon for him). This just proves the point for Independents and GOPers. If someone up there spends a min with a vagina hat on, SNL plays it. If someone wears a Fidel Castro shirt, SNL plays it. THIS IS DIVISION. You want to block a black man wearing a GOP hat who talked about make your decisions through love, because he supports Donald Trump. It is not inclusivity, it is exclusivity. I watched John Oliver this sunday. I like watching John Oliver and it was the same thing. I am finding very little difference between John Oliver and Clay Travis on making their points. This country is going crazy. I made a point to my brother this past week. Name one gender, ethnicity, orientation that is worse off than it was 2 years ago. His response (he is super liberal BTW) was the white male. Now the White Male can afford to lose some power. I am fine with that, but the point was that everyone else was BETTER OFF. Gay couples can marry. Everyone is making more money. The media industry has been turned upside down because creepy old dudes were harassing the crap out of women (Matt Lauer). Small Businesses are starting to finally make a little progress. Trump even protected pre-existing conditions. Without him, the GOP repeals the crap out of that.
  5. California's mandate on women on the board. This is what happens when you have stupid people running government with no foresight. Because of this, whenever a woman is on a board, the opinion of her will be that she got that position because she is a woman, not because she earned it. BRAVO California.
My Woodward book hasn't come in yet, hoping to get it this week. Excited to read it. I should have just asked @proudson for his copy if he is done, would have had it by now. On Mizzou v. USCe, I don't know which way to go. USCe will offer bend don't break, deny big plays, etc. Mizzou has to find a way to take what USCe defense gives them, execute long drives and put it in the endzone when in the red zone. I have my reservations on that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News