ADVERTISEMENT

A FEW TIDBITS ON HOOPS, RECRUITING, ETC...

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
First off, we're not anticipating an announcement of J3's transfer being official until next week at some time. I'm not sure what the hold up is and I'm certainly confident he is leaving, but the announcement isn't likely to come until next week. There are always i's to dot and t's to cross on this type of thing.

I think it's quite possible we hear of at least one more departure at that point in time (think of a fifth-year guy who was suspended and then didn't play much when he returned).

Beyond that, I'm really unsure. I've heard so much that's been all over the board this week that I don't know what to believe and it would be irresponsible of me to even guess. I mean, I've heard that after Bello and J3 nothing else is going to happen all the way to a mass exodus that makes me wonder how they'd even field a team.

I have had multiple people tell me (as has Brian) that Teki Gill-Caesar has been heavily involved in Mizzou's pitch to Terrence Phillips has also been recruiting Bryant pretty hard for Mizzou. The big question is "will it work?" If I had to guess, I would say no because when pretty much everyone is saying they think he's going to Indiana then I tend to believe that unless I have concrete information he isn't. And I don't have that. Missouri isn't giving up, they're still involved, but most seem to think it's gonna be the Hoosiers (and Bossi alluded to the fact it could happen as soon as this weekend).

We had mentioned earlier this week that Fulford and Anderson were in Michigan to see big man Mike Edwards. We've gotten indications that the visit went pretty well. Our database doesn't list Edwards with a Mizzou offer so we'll work to get clarity on whether he has one or not, but I think Edwards is definitely a guy to keep an eye on.

Ideally, I think you get both of those guys, then a juco or two and call it a class. But maybe Edwards is kind of the backup plan to Bryant, I'm not sure. Either way, right now, Mizzou has two ships available (and realistically I think they have at least three).

On the coaching front, I'm sure Missouri's staff will be vetting some things at the Final Four this week. That's like a job fair where a lot of things happen (though news doesn't really tend to come out until afterward…it's kind of an unwritten rule you don't upstage the Final Four by releasing news between now and the national title game). Hopefully between now and next week I'll get some clarity on who legitimate candidates are. Beyond some of the names I listed early in the process, I'm not sure who they are at this point because I think solidifying the roster situation has been far more important. Honestly, you need to know how many players, and which ones, are returning next year before you worry about who's coaching them (if you have more departures than anticipated, you might need to hire a guy who can bring players in right away).

*I know Mack Rhoades has been in Columbia a couple of times and met with some of the coaches. I know he's met with both Kim Anderson and Gary Pinkel at least once (at least according to what I've heard) and was supposed to meet with Brian Smith at some point this week as well. People keep asking me what he's going to do first. I don't think he's going to come in and throw down some "I'm here putting my stamp on the program" move right off the bat. He's doing his homework and we'll see how that goes. For more on Rhoades, you can listen to this interview he did on KTGR this week.

*On the football recruiting front, the big visitor this week was Brendan Scales picked up an offer last night (I hear there's a lengthy thread on that subject somewhere) and I'll be talking to him in about 45 minutes. I will write a story immediately after we talk and get it posted prior to practice.

That's a little bit of the latest. We've had some other visits and tidbits posted on the board throughout the week, but that's the pertinent information I can recall that I thought should be posted. Light practice this afternoon, scrimmage tomorrow morning and we'll have coverage.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.