ADVERTISEMENT

A PERSONAL NOTE

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
Although he will be working and posting stories throughout the week, today was the last day officially I'm working with @PTScantlebury

As he said last week when announcing his move, he had no idea an interview eight years ago would turn into a career. Likewise, I didn't know what I was getting when I hired a kid fresh out of journalism school. When you're hiring someone, you're always taking a chance. You can do all your homework, you can think you know everything there is to know, but you don't really know if they can do the job till you take the leap of faith. Pete far exceeded my expectations when I hired him (which were that I'd likely be hiring someone else again in a couple of years...not a knock on Pete so much as the reality of this business).

The biggest recruiting story in my 13 years on this site was DGB. Pete was one of very, very few reporters who gained the trust of the family. Because of his connections, we had a pretty good idea Dorial was going to Missouri when the rest of the country had him as a lock for Oklahoma or Arkansas. Pete has built great relationships with recruits, players, parents and coaches in his time covering Missouri.

I'm certainly sorry to be losing him as a colleague and a co-worker and a road trip partner. I hope whatever route I go in replacing him that the person that follows him can be close to as good. He (or she) will have big shoes to fill. I certainly wish Pete the best in his new ventures and, as I told him this afternoon, I'll hit him up when I'm in the ATL for the SEC title game in a few months.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.