ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone remember Gerry Faust's path to notre dame

MCPieper

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
INDY
The will probably cause the "Dead Horse" to get beat some more ... I suspect the older posters have forgot about it and the younger poster never heard of it, maybe because they were still crapping their diaper. In any case, it crossed my mind and I thought some posters might find it interesting that a high school coach was hired by notre dame to be their head football coach.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerry_Faust

College Football Data Warehouse
Gerard Anthony Faust (born May 21, 1935) is a former American football player and coach. He served as the head football coach at the University of Notre Dame from 1981 to 1985 and at the University of Akron from 1986 to 1994,[1] compiling a career college football record of 73–79–4.[1] From 1962 to 1980, Faust was the head football coach at Moeller High School in Cincinnati, Ohio, where he tallied a mark of 178–23–2 and won four High School Football National Championships. Before coaching, Faust enjoyed a successful stint as a quarterback at the University of Dayton, where he played under former Notre Dame coach Hugh Devore.[2] Faust was offered a partial scholarship to Notre Dame, but enrolled at Dayton, where he graduated in 1958.[2]

Coaching career[edit]

Notre Dame[edit]
It was his amazing record, sound ethics and the quality football players from Moeller who later played at Notre Dame, that led Notre Dame officials to take a calculated gamble and hire him when Dan Devine stepped down after the 1980 season.

In exactly half of Notre Dame's losses under Faust, the opposition scored the winning points late in the game. The Fighting Irish lost their last three regular season games in 1982, 1983 and 1985 and their last two games in 1981. Only in 1984 did they finish strongly, winning their last four games after three consecutive home losses; the last time that had happened was in 1956.

Going into the 1985 season, hopes were high that things would turn around. With the team at 5–5 and the program rapidly unraveling after a 10–7 loss to LSU in the tenth game, Faust, who said he would never quit, announced his resignation effective at the end of the season and spared the university from having to fire him.[3] His final game was against a Jimmy Johnson-coached Miami team, a humiliating 58–7 loss at the Orange Bowl. It was one of the worst defeats in school history and the second-highest point total ever given up in one game by the Irish; Army rang up 59 points in 1944 while Wisconsin matched Miami's 58 points in 1904. Faust was succeeded by University of Minnesota head coach Lou Holtz.[5]

Personal and later life[edit]
Despite his unsuccessful coaching tenure at Notre Dame, Faust's love for the school has never wavered and he still regularly attends Irish home football games. He has said "I had only 26 miserable days at Notre Dame; that's when we lost. Other than that, I was the happiest guy in the world. I loved walking on the campus, loved being there, loved being a part of Notre Dame."[3]

Head coaching record[edit]
High school[edit]
Archbishop Moeller: 178–23–2 90–15–1
Total: 178–23–2

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
(NCAA Division I-A independent) (1981–1985)
1981 Notre Dame 5–6
1982 Notre Dame 6–4–1
1983 Notre Dame 7–5 W Liberty
1984 Notre Dame 7–5 L Aloha
1985 Notre Dame 5–6
Notre Dame: 30–26–1

Notre Dame Fighting Irish head football coaches

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.