ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL BARRY ODOM MEDIA DAY

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
Starting momentarily. I will pass along relevant info.

The bye week came at the perfect time to get healthy and spend extra time on self evaluation and scouting. Got some younger guys extra reps to get them in position to help them pay. Spent three practices and two walk throughs on Kentucky.

Team took Saturday off, practiced Sunday.

Kentucky playing "solid football in every aspect." Stoops has done a good job with that program.

Excited to play a road game and see how they handle that environment.

On wide receiver depth: Hall and Brown will both step up. "They're excited about their role...They've got to be heavily involved on being guys we can count on." Tight ends need to be more active.

WR Justin Smith still on crutches, so he's not an option.

Asked about young guys said Rountree, Ulmer, Brooks are guys they expect to contribute more going forward.

Said if you're a great competitor, it doesn't matter where you're playing.

Drew Lock's nose is fine.

Other than Justin Smith, team is in pretty good shape health wise, other than Aubrey Miller and guys who have been out like Christian Holmes. "I would say we're probably about as healthy as anybody else."

Says they have seven, maybe eight, OL they feel comfortable playing.

On handling adversity: "There is training I believe you can do." Attitude and mindset are important, spend time talking about it, practice time on putting them in bad situations. "Hopefully the month of September's over, let's look at this week moving forward on handling that in a more mature way."

On starting games faster: Said he thought they found some things that they can do differently at the start during the bye week. "Right now we're at minus-9 turnover margin and we all know where that is in the country. There's not anybody below us."

On turnovers and whether they can be coached: You focus on ball security in the open field, being competitive and grabbing a loose ball that's on the field.

On blocking out criticism: "The only thing I'm worried about is my team. I want them to stay focused on what happens in these walls and in our locker room." Said his message after the Auburn game was directed to make the team focus on those things. "Any spent time or emotion on opinions of others that are not in this program, good or bad, is wasted effort and energy."

Odom spent time recruiting in Texas, Alabama, Mississippi and Missouri during the bye week.

On Mason/instilling discipline: "It's always ongoing. You can be here ten years and you're still working on it." Says you spend most of your time on discipline and developing people. "There are some days they need hugs and some days they don't."

Brian is uploading video of Odom. Heupel is up at 12:15.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.