ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor using DNA to analyze athletes

MIZsanity

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 17, 2015
This is quite revolutionary (at least, the first I've seen of it in sports). I'm very interested to see what happens here. I can only imagine the potential solutions/problems this could create.

Guys getting ranked star wise because they have some genetic marker for a 'strength' or 'speed' gene? Guys who display excellence on the field but don't show any genetic markers -- how would those athletes fare in recruiting? The article talks about Baylor using this info to develop individualized training plans for its athletes, but I could easily see this moving quickly into the recruiting area if it's remotely accurate.

What about all of the privacy issues? It stated that the athletes don't have to give them their DNA, but if it comes down to getting a free ride, what would you do?

Could also drastically improve the overall health of athletes after their playing days. And if that looked successful, could this spill over into other industries?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...dna-athletigen-performance-workouts/81795840/

Reactions: MUmartens
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.