ADVERTISEMENT

"came into the SEC expected to be one of the conference’s better ones and now is 51 games under .500 in league play over a decade"

jsmitty2.0

Retired Number
Gold Member
Oct 24, 2005
Reading Gabe's commentary this morning, this just hit me in the face like a ton of bricks. What's even worse to think about is that we were 4 games OVER .500 in Frank Haith's two years, so we're 55 games under .500 in the 8 seasons since. This is football from the '80's to mid-90's levels of futility.

I guess what's just as frustrating is the apparent complacency. Kim was just allowed to burn it to the ground for 3 seasons, when it was obvious after 1 that he had no business at this level. And now we're at year 5 of his replacement (who has 1 season over .500 in the conference, his first) and there's still a debate about whether we need a change.

Growing up as a Mizzou fan in the Big 8 and the Big 12, we used to sneer at SEC basketball...and since we moved over to the SEC, we've been their equivalent of what Nebraska was to us growing up.

I'm not sure what it is about that stat, or just not having seen it presented that way before, but I am lost in a fog of righteous anger today. This rampant neglect of a once proud program and a once passionate fan base is ****ing criminal. Put Mike Alden, Tim Wolfe, Jim Sterk, and whoever else is responsible in Abu Ghraib. Hearnes Center/Mizzou Arena wasn't awesome when we played kU because we were playing kU, it was awesome because our teams were good and our fans were awesome. It was awesome when we played good OU teams, it was awesome when we played good out of conference teams. It can be awesome when we play good Kentucky or Florida or Auburn teams. We make the program, not the ****ing opponents.

This was a bit of a personal catharsis. I'm not apathetic, I can never be apathetic about Mizzou hoops, but the neglect shown to this program and the fact that apathy has been ALLOWED to creep into this fanbase (and it's rampant on this board) has reached a boiling point in my head.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News