ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL CFP trickle down discussion

amhorrell

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 30, 2015
Chaffee, MO
I enjoy listening to Bet the Board, Power Mizzou, and that SEC Podcasts while I mow all the lawns that I do and I also have a habit to gamble on football.

With all of those things and the thoughts in my head, and I’m sure this isn’t something new, I can’t help but wonder….

What’s the upside/downside of the conference championship games?

I know the P4 conference winners get the 1-2-3-4 seeds in the CFP but is that from regular season standings or the championship games?

Will teams WANT to make the conference championship in the SEC?

A 10-2 team playing an 11-1/12-0 team may play their guts out and lose and now they’re 10-3 and probably miss the CFP. You’d almost rather finish 3rd and still have a chance to slip in then to possibly pick up your 3rd loss and miss.

On the flip side, will a 12-0 team sit their key guys in a conference championship to make sure they’re healthy for the playoff? (This question is void if the auto byes from the conference championships).

Last thing I realized/learned today was that with those 4 auto byes.. Notre Dame (not this year necessarily) could have a strong team and be 12-0 and ranked 1, 2, 3… and NOT get a CFP bye. Coach Freeman did point out that they don’t have a conference championship so that is their “bye.” Still, they will always have to win 4 games to be the national champion in the playoffs. Along with that issue, I know schedules are made out years in advance, but will Notre Dame have a tough time scheduling many P4 teams in the future? What’s the incentive for these P4 teams to risk a non con loss? The SEC teams likely shouldn’t/wouldn’t want to play them. They’ll have enough tough games within their conference schedule. Will people like USC & Stanford continue to play them? Do they still have an agreement with the ACC to get some guaranteed games?

Tons of questions here… just ready for some full scale college football discussion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.