ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL ****CLOSING THOUGHTS FROM FAUROT FIELD****

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
We've got plenty more coverage to come tonight and tomorrow, but taking a quick break from writing:

*I don't know if Missouri can play much worse than it did last week. And I'm not sure how much better it can play than it did this week. Yes, there are penalties to be eliminated and some things here and there, but we've seen something approaching as bad as Mizzou can be and something approaching as good as it can be in the first two weeks. The rest of the season is simply about this: Be a lot closer to today than to last Saturday. If Missouri replicates something close to this effort, I won't take anything short of 10-2 off the table. If Missouri replicates something close to last week's effort, I won't take anything short of 3-9 off the table.

*Neal Brown has a heck of a rebuilding job on his hands. Man, Dana Holgerson knows when to ride out of town.

*For the first time in two years I felt like we saw what they've been telling us about Nick Bolton. Yeah, the pick six was nice, but that was actually one of his least impressive plays. He just had to not drop it (FWIW, Barry Odom said Ryan Walters called what was going to happen before the snap on that play). But he made 2 TFL and was all over the field.

*Adam Sparks has to play more. He's Missouri's best tackler in the secondary. If I'm Jarvis Ware, I don't want to be out very long.

*Speaking of injuries, like many of you, I thought Kelly Bryant might have a concussion. I'm still not sure he doesn't. Barry Odom said he's not concerned about it. The official word was overheated and "nothing serious." I asked the question because I wanted them on record telling me he was okay. Now we'll find out if he is.

*Missouri's defensive line looked like an actual defensive line. I thought Jordan Elliott and Kobie Whiteside were great. I noticed Chris Turner, Tre Williams and Jatorian Hansford. I'm not sure WVU has an offensive line that's worth anything, but I've seen Missouri's defensive line do little against bad teams before so it was good to see them do something.

*I don't think I'd call a ton of designed runs for Bryant. You want to keep him upright. But man his legs are a weapon. No play is dead...even sometimes when the refs call them dead.

*Next week is a scrimmage. We'll be here and we'll cover it, but it's a waste for everybody. Missouri should win by four touchdowns or more and the starters shouldn't break a sweat in the second half. The Tigers will be 2-1...and then the season really begins.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News