ADVERTISEMENT

Crowd Sourcing and the PM Mob Mentality

mrubinelli

Retired Number
Gold Member
Sep 14, 2002
There is a reason why "Ask the Audience" was the go to lifeline on Who Wants to be a Millionaire. The collective intelligence of the many is usually stronger than that of the few. Sure there are exceptions to the rule, but we all see it on here all the time. I think sometimes the decision makers at Mizzou (from a personnel standpoint) tend to ignore the obvious and try to out think common wisdom. Rarely does that work out well for anyone. Pinkel and his staff had a way of evaluating talent based on a system of criteria and knowing his staff's ability to get the most of out his players. It worked for GP because he has refined that evaluation process over 30+ years of coaching. It was part of the foundation of his job. Find the best talent for you and help them be the best performers they can. The administrative people at Mizzou on the other hand don't spend an inordinate amount of time evaluating candidates for material positions in the athletic department. As a result is it any surprise that our AD situation was a train wreck? They can't even seem to hire the right search committee. Would it surprise anyone that they hired the wrong guy/gal to fill this AD role again? And that AD will not make the right (best) decision on the softball, basketball, and maybe soon baseball front? When Alden realized his hands were tied in hoops (no Howland, Marshall, Huggy Bear) he left seeing as that was how it was going to play out in every sports arena. The BoC got their man in ADMR and HCKA. I am sure they all felt very smart, content, and somewhat smug at the time. I hope these painful lessons that we have had to endure as fans serves as a cautionary tale this time around and we start to right the ship by getting the best possible person for this job. But given the past performance by Admin I doubt that will be allowed to happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.