ADVERTISEMENT

NEW STORY DAILY DOWN LOW, AUGUST 17TH

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
The last couple of days have been fairly slow. And that's okay. No news is often good news. Anyway, here are a couple of things to start your morning:

Damarea Crockett Q&A

ICYMI, yesterday, Barry Odom told us Trevon Walters was off the team. He was, at best, the No. 5 running back. I don't think he was going to see the field this year. So as far as this year's team, there's really no impact. Will it cause Mizzou to take one more back than it would have taken this year or next? Maybe. But you also have to realize, there is likely to be more than normal attrition this year. That couldn't happen last year because the new staff came in so late. Going into year two, I'd expect a lot of guys to magically want to find a new place to play. Some of that could even happen here prior to or during the season, but my guess is most of it will be after the year and into spring.

We have player availability at 1030 and coaches after practice this evening, will have content throughout the day and update this post if anything happens.

Injury update from Wednesday's player availability: Darvis Holmes said he will have shoulder surgery later today and will miss the first three or four games.

Here's the notebook from the player availability session: https://missouri.rivals.com/news/the-mizzou-3-2-1-aug-17

Josh Helmholdt with word of a likely visit from a top 250 player: https://n.rivals.com/news/huskers-in-the-mix-for-r250-db-potts

Pete reports that Nate Brown is out 6-8 weeks with a high ankle sprain.

What's that mean? Honestly, we're not sure yet. Brown's name was simply not one we'd been hearing lately. It doesn't mean he wasn't doing well, it doesn't mean he wouldn't have started, but I think Dilosa, Black, Moore and maybe Hall and Mason were ahead of him just based on what I've heard. Dominic Collins and Justin Smith in the mix too.

It's not good to lose your leading returning receiver. But let's not pretend this was a prolific offense. Losing the leading returning receiver off that offense is hardly crippling. Not trying to minimize this, not trying to lessen the crappiness of it for Brown, just saying that there are a lot of bodies there and somebody has to step up and produce. Maybe Brown would have been that somebody, maybe not. Now, it's got to be somebody else.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.