ADVERTISEMENT

NEW STORY DAILY DOWN LOW AUGUST 22ND (UPDATED 1113)

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
For the first time in a LONG time, we start a week with no big picture lingering questions. We know who the AD is, there is no NCAA basketball investigation going on and Ehren Earleywine's situation was resolved on Friday. And, with that, everyone on this beat takes a big, long, deep breath.

Which probably means something is going to happen today (No, I don't know anything, just speaking cynically from experience here).

Anyway, some quick ICYMI stuff from over the weekend:

Newcomer Q&A with Darvis Holmes
Replay: Sunday Night Facebook Live Chat
What We Learned: Offense
What We Learned: Defense

Also, J'Den Cox won a bronze medal in wrestling this weekend. He was seconds (and understanding international rules a little better) from possibly wrestling for gold. But still, what an accomplishment and what a year for J'Den Cox. Here is the best piece I read on that, from Vahe Gregorian in the KC Star.

One of the most common questions I get is this: In your time (13 years this month) covering Mizzou, who are your favorite athletes you've covered. I was asked this in our chat last night. Here's my list:

Basketball: Laurence Bowers, JT Tiller, Leo Lyons
Football: Lorenzo Williams, Martin Rucker, Sean Weatherspoon, William Moore

But honestly, all of them would be runners-up to J'Den Cox. I haven't covered Cox a lot. Think I've interviewed him maybe three times, only once in a one-on-one setting (hoping to line him up for the podcast after he gets back in town and catches his breath). But he is so unbelievably honest and thoughtful. You ask J'Den Cox a question, you have no idea what his answer is going to be. And that's great. We get so many canned answers, so many responses we could write without even asking. Not with him. You ask J'Den a question, he's going to legitimately think about it and tell you what he thinks.

In a terrible (no other way to put it) year for Mizzou sports, what a great representative of this school, this city, this state and the country. Mizzou fans should have immense pride in this kid. He's the best and so incredibly deserving of what he did this weekend. I know this is a side note and not the typical "information" we post here, but I think it deserved to be said. Congratulations to J'Den, to his family, to Brian Smith, and to everybody who had a hand in him getting where he did this weekend.

Finally non-Mizzou but I am going to start including my favorite link of the day in here. Here it is for today:

UPDATED AT 1113

The New 2017 Rivals100 is out. Of most interest to Mizzou fans is Jeff Thomas, who checks in at No. 78.

We'll update this thread throughout the day if anything happens.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.