NEW STORY DAILY DOWN LOW AUGUST 25TH UPDATED AT 726 PM

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
Not a lot to start the morning so far.

Micah Wilson Q&A (we're nearing the end of the newcomer reports I believe)

As we mentioned on Tuesday, Jerod Alton is expected to be cleared at any time. Barry Odom actually said he could have been waiting in the facility after practice (he wasn't, but that illustrates that it could happen any time). Alton messaged me back yesterday morning and said "it should be any time now." For what it's worth, he's not currently listed in the student database. Don't think there's any big concern at this point in time. He's got a couple weeks to get in before the add/drop date and he's obviously going to redshirt at this point in time.

Everyone can make a season prediction here. Most people seem to see Mizzou between six and eight wins. Seven is the most popular pick so far, with more six than eight and more five than nine. I may very well be proven wrong here, but from what I've seen, I sure give that game at West Virginia a lot more weight than fans do. I considered making it the third most difficult game on the schedule when I did my season prediction. Ultimately I listed it fifth. But this is a road game at a Power Five team with an offense that has questions literally everywhere. It would be a hell of a statement for Missouri to win. And I think the Tigers can. But even given the constant optimism of fans in August, I'm surprised at the number of people simply chalking that one up as a relatively easy win.

I think it has to do with the Big 12. If Mizzou was opening at a comparable ACC or PAC-12 school (let's say maybe Virginia Tech or Oregon State for example), I think there would be many people more concerned. I think Missouri fans still have a "The Big 12 sucks" attitude toward everything out of that league and it colors the judgment. Like I said, maybe I'm wrong and Missouri is going to beat the Mountaineers and do so fairly easily. But it will surprise me.

I'll have Kim Anderson on the podcast this morning (should be posted by noon) and the final open practice of camp is today at 3:30. We get to talk to Odom and "selected starters." I'm assuming that means guys like Scherer, Harris, Penton that we already know are going to start. I don't see Odom tipping his hand on a depth chart by letting us talk to guys we aren't already sure are going to be starting.

Speaking of the starters, in the Chamber tomorrow, Pete and I will both take our shot at predicting the two-deep. I actually think we'll be able to get most of the starting 11 on each side of the ball right. Where I think there will be a lot more surprises is on the second string. I think there could be five to ten names that we see on Monday when we get the game notes that most of us aren't expecting. At least there's some drama, right?

Here's the latest from Morgantown:

Next man up at left guard
Looking for a backup MLB

UPDATED 1215

Kim Anderson was on the podcast and you can listen here

Here is my non Mizzou link of the day. It has been sent to Barry Odom:

720 PM UPDATE

A new in-state offer: https://missouri.forums.rivals.com/threads/2019-in-state-offer.68825/

An update on Missouri's captains

Some post-practice notes from Pete

And today's video interviews

We'll update this post throughout the day as necessary.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.