ADVERTISEMENT

NEW STORY DAILY DOWN LOW AUGUST 29TH (UPDATED AT 5:17)

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
We'll start, as always, with links you may have missed:

Newcomer Q&A with Albert Okwuegbunam (think we've hit every member of the class who is on campus)
Video replay, Sunday night chat
Following the Future: Latest on Mizzou commits

*I just checked the online student database again and Jerod Alton is still not listed. We'll continue to update you as we can, but as of this minute, it does not look as if Alton is enrolled at Mizzou quite yet. No reason to expect it not to happen, but at this point it doesn't seem so.

*We're going to start the DDL each Monday with five things to know about Missouri's opponent that week. We'll provide links where we can. So here are five things to know about West Virginia:

*The two teams have played five times. Missouri leads the all-time series 3-2. The first game was in 1926, the last in the 1998 Insight Bowl. Should you want to (and have three hours and 11 minutes to burn) you can watch that game here:

*Last season, West Virginia scored 34 points per game and gave up 26.3. The Mountaineers outrushed opponents by 904 yards last season and outpassed them by 178. You can see the entire statistical profile of the 2015 Mountaineers here.

*The West Virginia media is saying the D-Line is a strength and cornerback is a question mark. Some pullout quotes from WVSports.com:

"Constantly cited as one of the strengths of the defense throughout camp the defensive line appears ready. This unit can go at least eight deep right now, but any possible injuries could turn this into a tough situation for the Mountaineers until Pegues is back on the field. So while the depth is still somewhat of a question mark, I do feel better about this group than I did coming into camp."

"This unit still has almost as many questions on who will start as it did before the start of camp but like the defensive line, the cornerbacks have proven themselves up to the challenge. West Virginia has at least four players that will definitely fit into the picture this fall in seniors Rasul Douglas, Antonio Crawford, Maurice Fleming and Nana Kyeremeh while a pair of junior college prospects in Mike Daniels and Elijah Battle are there to provide even more depth.

Talk within the program is that Douglas and Crawford will likely emerge as the starters."

*Special teams could loom large. The Mountaineers' starting kicker is suspended for the season's first three games. With redshirt senior Josh Lambert out, redshirt junior Mike Molina will take his place. West Virginia coaches are saying Molina's range is 45-48 yards on field goals. The Mountaineers also seem unsettled on a starting punter. If the Tigers have an edge in this game, it could well come in the kicking game.

*Where to follow the Mountaineers:

While we will pass along information throughout the week, the best place to get coverage is from the guys on the ground in Morgantown. Start with our WV site, WVSports.com. The team there does a very good job of covering the team. On Twitter, you can follow them @WVSports and @rivalskeenan

The Dominion Post covers the Mountaineers daily.
The DA Online is the West Virginia student newspaper

The game is at 11 a.m. local time and will be televised by Fox Sports 1. I will be in Morgantown by a couple hours before kickoff on Saturday morning and we will have complete coverage throughout the week.

10:53 AM

A prediction from WVSports.com and more info on the Mountaineers

5:17 PM

Various links from media day here:

Notes and quotes from Odom at media day
Audio of Odom's entire press conference
VIDEO: Player interviews
Depth Chart Released

Here is audio of Odom's presser without having to click the above link

In tomorrow's daily down low, I'll start the day with some of my impressions from the depth chart.

We will update this post throughout the day with pertinent information.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.