ADVERTISEMENT

NEW STORY *****ENTER THE CHAMBER*****

the chamber

Letterman
Staff
May 28, 2015
First off, make sure you read the Weekend Visit Primer to see the four guys we know are going to be on campus. We have been told by multiple sources that number could be as high as six. However, at this point, only those four are confirmed. If and when we learn anything on two other potential visitors, we can pass it on.

Two guys we can tell you are NOT the possible late additions are Tony Adams and Larry Boyd. It didn't finally absolutely happen until the last few days, but that flirtation is over and both are headed to Illinois.

Missouri has up to six spots left. We discussed on the podcast if they'll use them all by Wednesday. At this point, it is our belief they will not. We are forecasting four more on National Signing Day, leaving two spots open for afterward. Missouri isn't going to sign six on Wednesday just to sign six. Part of the reason the program and depth chart are where they are is because there were a number of guys that were taken that the current coaching staff wouldn't take. They're only going to sign guys they see as contributors to a team that can win an SEC title. Obviously, they won't get them all right, but that's the goal. So in that vein, we had all four staff members offer up their thoughts on the five most likely targets to fill the class. Here's what we came up with:

BRIAN AUSTIN

My five to finish the class starts with a couple defensive tackles that Mizzou has a great chance to land. That would be junior college prospect Walter Palmore and high school prospect Caleb Sampson. Missouri is in great shape with both and for them not to sign with Mizzou would be a surprise at this point. Next for me is a pair of defensive ends in Zion Debose and Chester Graves. Graves is visiting Ole Miss this weekend, but in the end I think he will commit to the home-state Tigers. Debose has a final four of Illinois, Pitt, Virginia Tech and Mizzou. From what we've heard Mizzou is in solid shape to receive his signature at this point. My final pick to commit to Mizzou is another defensive lineman. They have a lot of good competition, but I think Malik Young looks at the defensive tackle depth and picks Missouri. That would give the Tigers eight defensive lineman in the 2017 class. Four at tackle and four at end.

It has been a great class from a need perspective. Priority one was defensive line. Priority two was offensive line and Mizzou is in line to add five there. Priority three was defensive back and again the Tigers are set to add five at that position. Wide receiver was okay last year, but adding three talented (I think all current commits will sign) high school prospects just increases the depth and opportunity for high level play. Wide out was priority four and I think Da'Ron Davis will be the top offensive newcomer. Priority five was running back. With just three scholarship players returning Mizzou needed to add some depth. The Tiger staff did that by adding Isaiah Miller and Larry Rountree.

SEAN WILLIAMS

With the top targets remaining on the Tigers' board and barring any unforeseen last-minute decommitments. Missouri will likely load up on the defensive front to finish out the class.

Eastern Arizona J.C. defensive tackle teammates Walter Palmore and Malik Young will be in town this weekend, Palmore appears to be a sure-fire lock for the Tigers whereas the Tigers will have to fend off Arizona State, Arkansas, and Florida for Young. Regardless, I think the Tigers land both.

Another defensive tackle target coming in for a visit this weekend is Shannon Forman, who told us that his Missouri offer was a dream come true. I think that will come to fruition either during this weekend or shortly after with a commitment.

While another defensive tackle target, Caleb Sampson, is visiting Kansas State this weekend, I think the Tigers are in good shape to land the 6-foot-3, 280-pound prospect on National Signing Day.

I also see 4-star in-state prospect Chester Graves being added to Missouri's class as well, even though he'll likely go the prep school or junior college route. Regardless, it will be a huge pickup for the Tigers in terms of in-state recruiting bragging rights.

PAUL MAHARRY

This has been fun, so far, to say the least. I jumped into the fire immediately on January 1 and started to get to know the Missouri roster, commits, and prospects for the Class of 2017 class. With that being said, I think that Missouri finishes with these final five prospects.

1. Walter Palmore- My first day on the job I was tasked with trying to get in touch with Palmore, and here we are a few weeks in, and I have not gotten in touch with Palmore. Gabe still pays me, too, which is pretty cool of him. Palmore is the prized asset that is left on the board, in my opinion. He can come in and contribute right away and just looks like an under-the-radar type Missouri defensive lineman.

2. Caleb Sampson- This is one that I am not as high on as say the Missouri coaching staff, but they've always been studying Sampson long before I ever decided to join PowerMizzou. Sampson will be a project, no doubt about that, but he possesses raw size and speed.

3. Chester Graves- While it looks like Graves will not enroll at Missouri this year, that does not mean that the coaches are not going to sign and place him. He is too good of a talent to not, and he will part of this class. Or at least, I think.

4. Malik Young- This one is tricky and probably the one that I am least confident in. Young was also one of the first names I was tasked with getting in touch with and I failed Gabe again. I'm guessing the cell service out in Arizona must be terrible, or something. If the Tigers are able to land Palmore and Young, well Missouri fans will be drinking early in celebration on National Signing Day.

5. Zion Debose- I take back what I said about Young being the pick I am least confident in. That award goes to Debose. I actually really like Debose. Out of all the kids in the 2017 recruiting cycle that I talked to (and I talked to a lot, it's kind of my job), Debose is by far the most intelligent, down to earth prospect. This is more so a wish that Debose signs with Missouri so that I can watch and write about him for the next four years. Also, you miss every shot you don't take, or something like that.

GABE DeARMOND

1. Caleb Sampson--The staff has been on him for a while and we heard he loved his visit. Surprised it hasn't already happened, but think it will.

2. Walter Palmore--We don't even know of any other visits he's taken. This one seems like a near slam dunk.

3. Shannon Forman--He's gotten some late attention, but Mizzou was the first major program to go on him and I think that pays off.

4. Jaylond Adams--I said yesterday I thought he might be a backup plan. I've changed my mind. I think they'll take him.

5. A surprise. I think there's somebody out there we don't know about. We hope to find out by Wednesday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News