ADVERTISEMENT

***FIVE PRE-SCRIMMAGE THOUGHTS***

PTScantlebury

PowerMizzou.com Associate Editor
Gold Member
Dec 22, 2008
Kansas City
1. I need to pay more attention to the entire passing offense. After going over my notes from the last scrimmage, I realized I need to focus more on the complete picture of the passing offense instead of the A-to-B. What I mean by that is I tend to focus more on the pass from the quarterback throwing to a receiver, instead of the build up to that decision. It can be tough to do, but I realized I had notes that said "confusion" or "slip" or "seems like wrong the wrong route" -- basically, I may be too hard on Maty Mauk and the other quarterbacks. One of Mauk's decision seemed to be a forced throw -- Thomas Wilson easily jumped a ball thrown into coverage. The other was underthrown, but he made the right read. J'Mon Moore had defenders beat going into the end zone.

But, on plenty of other passing plays, there just didn't seem to be much crispness. That's to be expected, with the receivers, but I'm going to try to watch how the passing plays develop on Saturday, instead of simply the end result.

2. Don't look too much into the run game.
There are depth concerns all over the field because of (mainly) minor injuries, but receiver and running back have been hit somewhat hard on offense. Russell Hansbrough is still dealing with a nagging shoulder injury; Trevon Walters is done until mid-September. Because of that, and coupled with Connor McGovern's precautionary early spring exit, I wouldn't get too concerned either way with the rushing totals on Saturday. I don't think the run game will be a concern this season, as long as those injuries don't grow.

3. I think the coaches' goal is for Connor McGovern to play tackle this year. We won't get to see that develop any more this spring with his MCL strain, but it sounds like the staff wants at least one experienced lineman at tackle. McGovern seems to be the best bet. Now, I never thought he would be a good fit at left tackle -- but, then again, I didn't think Mitch Morse would be, either, but he had a great year and worked his way into a potential mid-round draft pick. But, at this point, I think the two spots at least somewhat open are right tackle and right guard. Right guard seems to be a bit more closed, as it seems that Brad McNulty would have the edge there. Right tackle is still between Nate Crawford and Clay Rhodes, and Taylor Chappell could also be in the mix, but we may not see him work there this spring. Left tackle, however, could be McGovern's job once he comes back from the injury.

(Side note -- Mitch Hall looked pretty solid to me in the first scrimmage at left guard. After some up-and-down play in 2014, I feel like he's one player that may have taken the next step for 2015.)

4. Don't sleep on Rickey Hatley. He looked pretty dang good last Saturday. He's small compared to Josh Augusta, but he's not lacking in size overall. His development could be a huge boon to this interior line, because he's a player that can rotate with Augusta in size vs. speed match-ups, and Hatley's work as an interior penetrator against the pass could provide a big mismatch when he's paired with Harold Brantley. I wasn't sure what the interior line would look like until Terry Beckner arrived, but Hatley's growth so far means a possible (projected) rotation of three could be a rotation of four.

The back-up linebackers are playing well. Boy, I never remember noticing Clarence Green much before last Saturday, but he made a few BIG hits and seemed to be around many plays when he was in. Joey Burkett has gotten more playing time at one of the outside spots. And Brandon Lee is moving all over the place at linebacker, and Barry Odom seems to be grooming him for every position because of his athleticism. Donavin Newsom (who also looked quite good last Saturday), Michael Scherer and Kentrell Brothers will likely be the starting three, but those three back-ups looked very strong last Saturday, and it will be interesting to see if that continues.

(Before anyone freaks out about me not mentioning Eric Beisel -- he's out with a foot injury. Once he returns, he'll be right there in the mix, too.)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.