ADVERTISEMENT

For Those Wanting a Coaching Change, Embrace the Silence

DoubleDown6

Letterman
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
For all those wanting HCKA gone you should celebrate every passing day of silence from the AD. In my opinion, if ADMR makes a statement about the job this week it will be to announce KA is the coach going forward and very similar to the press release Gabe predicted in a previous thread. The entire AD knows that MR will have to make a statement if KA is being retained because of the rampant speculation, so for everybody wanting KA gone each passing day without a statement means MR is still open to making a change.
Now, a lot of people are wondering why things are taking so long? There are a few answers. First, there's really no reason to be in any kind of a hurry. Conference tournaments are just getting going which means most potential candidates are still playing and being the first open job has no proven track record of leading to better hires. Second, the clock really doesn't start for ADMR on his basketball track record until he gives out his first bball contract. MR didn't hire KA and no new chancellor or president is going to fault him for giving a coach 3 years. You could very effectively argue that it's actually better for ADMR's long term job status to stay with Anderson 1 more year (I'm not saying he would or will just that the argument could be made). And third, Mizzou is not in a position this year to have a "traditional" open search for basketball coach. What I mean by that is the program is not back in good enough shape yet to simply cut Anderson loose under the assumption that "anyone we get is going to be better". Because of this, I don't think KA will be let go this year unless ADMR finds 1-3 candidates by the end of this weekend that he not only feels are the right guy for Mizzou right now, but that he's also 100% confident will accept the job if it is offered to them. I do believe that ADMR has been in touch with representatives of a few candidates he would take if they'll accept. I also believe that at least one of those candidates has shown at least some mid-level interest, but not enough to this point to warrant ADMR making a statement on the status of KA's job. If MR knew that 1) he wanted to give KA 3 years minimum, or 2) that he didn't have any other candidates worth taking some time to look at a bit more, then we'd already have a statement that KA would be here next season. The fact that we don't means that ADMR is not only checking all possible options, but that there is still at least a hint of something out there that warrants maintaining silence right now.
We'll never know for sure unless it is announced that the AD is making a change. If KA is retained for a 3rd year I think it is simply because ADMR looked around at the options right now and thinks he will find a much higher quality candidate this time next year (even if it's after another 9 win season or worse) then what he could get right now. If it is announced that KA will be replaced it means ADMR has found 1-3 people he wants who would take the job. You'll still see the use of a search firm announced. This doesn't mean Mizzou hasn't done anything until now and is just starting the process. Search firms rarely identify candidates, they search into the backgrounds of identified candidates. They're basically a fancy name for private investigators that try to find any deal breakers that exist in a candidates background (ie why Mizzou has never used the search firm again that brought in Haith because they missed info on the Shaprio relationship and NCAA troubles)
I have no idea if KA will be back or not. But if you're in the FIRE KA camp every day of silence should be music to your ears!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.