ADVERTISEMENT

NEW STORY FOUR DOWN TERRITORY

JHamilton23

All-American
Staff
Jun 18, 2022
Welcome to Four Down Territory where I’ll give you three thoughts on Missouri football or college football in general. Then, the last thought will be whatever I want it to be.

1. The margins only get smaller.

The first week of fall camp is already in the books. Time moves fast. Head coach Eli Drinkwitz talked to the media on Saturday and told us how the team is progressing.

One of the big things Mizzou wanted to work on was red zone offense. Despite finishing third in the nation in red zone offense, the team wants to turn more field goals into touchdowns.

For one, something that's been noticeable this offseason are the margins are smaller. A lot of teams could finish top three in red zone offense and tell themselves that with the same offensive coordinator and eight starters they're fine in that area.

Of course, every team practices everything even if they're the best at something, but if you know you're good at something you typically want to attack something you're not good at.

When you're a good team and good at many things you have to turn good into great. That's not just on the field that's the roster too.

It's cool that Mizzou has Brady Cook but what if he can't play? You need a quality backup. Enter Drew Pyne, who has already won the QB2 position.

Look at linebacker. The Tigers seemingly had two starters for this season with Chuck Hicks and Triston Newson and still got three quality linebackers in the portal.

Anyway back to the red zone work. Drinkwitz said it's going well.

"I thought it's been good," Drinkwitz said. "Obviously, it serves to protect our players from over-usage and get them acclimated to the yardage. It causes everybody to play quicker because everything happens quicker in the red zone. The breaking points of routes, the ball has to come out, the rushing (and) the blitzes.

"It's been good for our guys to feel that intensity and urgency. Obviously, it's not always executed the way you want to because it's the first three out. But they've got a great foundation of what it is and what we're trying to do and then it's just about continuing to add on and build to it."

If the red zone offense is going well and Mizzou can turn more field goals into touchdowns, this will take a top 30 offense into a top 15-20 offense quickly.

2. The new guys who have caught Drinkwitz's eye.

Missouri nabbed a handful of players in the portal and expects quite a few of them to play significant roles this year.

The Tigers also have some freshmen who have made good early impressions. Does this mean they will play soon? Who knows. But it's never bad when the person in charge says you're doing well.

In particular, Drinkwitz shouted out cornerbacks Trajen Greco and Cameron Keys and offensive linemen Talan Chandler and Caleb Pyfrom.

"Yeah, I think Trajen Greco is a guy that you definitely knew came early and the way he handles himself I think he's really been a bright spot," Drinkwitz said. "Cam Keys has done a nice job and is very physical. Two days ago when we put the pads on he already knew what it was going to take and the physicality he had to play with.Talan Chandler he's actually done a really nice job. Calwb Pyfrom, (too). Both of those guys have really done a nice job."

That's good news for all of those players. For Greco and Keys, if they're standing out then they may be able to grab a CB5 role this year behind Drey Norwood, Toriano Pride, Nic DeLoach and Marcus Clarke.

That role probably won't get them many, if any, defensive snaps, but a role on special teams with the opportunity to not redshirt would be in reach.

Also for Keys, I think this is telling because he's easily one of the smallest scholarship players on the team at 6-foot and 166 pounds. It already helps that he's one of the faster players on the team, but his physicality at his size will be needed.

For Chandler and Pyfrom, that's also good. They won't see the field in all likelihood but the team will lose three scholarship offensive linemen in Marcus Bryant, Drake Heismeyer and Cam'Ron Johnson after the season. That number goes to four if Armand Membou decides to go to the NFL.

That would put Chandler and Pyfrom in the top eight offensive linemen range for next year where one could theoretically nab a starting spot or a swing tackle role.

On top of hearing who Drinkwitz is impressed with, we now know where ATHs Austyn Dendy and Jude James will be lining up.

James has been with the tight ends and Dendy has been placed with the safeties.

"I always kind of knew that's where Jude would end up for us offensively, Drinkwitz said. “We felt like as an H-back, playing multiple positions. He's really physical and we knew he'd provide value on special teams and it kind of feels like a natural fit for him.

“Austyn Dendy, we liked his physicality (and) his build. We think he can play that position with growth and development. I've been very pleased with both of them."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.