ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Halftime Thoughts: Georgia 21, Missouri 14

mitchell4d

Retired Number
Gold Member
Jan 2, 2018
That half started and ended about as bad as possible for Mizzou. Considering that, I’m actually impressed the Tigers are in this game. The big question mark coming in was Georgia’s motivation and energy levels. Well, when you give them an interception on the second play, that doesn’t really give them a chance to come out flat. I thought that interception was more than anything else a bad decision by Bazelak. It wasn’t a terrible throw, but asking Niko Hea to make that catch while covered is a recipe for a turnover.

I’m not going to lie, I thought the game was pretty much over when Georgia went up 14-0, and then again when Connor Bazelak went down with what looked like a concussion. (I didn't think it was an intentional or dirty hit and I can see why the refs missed it, but any contact to a QB's head should be a flag given how they call the game these days. Glad he’s okay.) So credit to Missouri for hanging in and fighting. Eli Drinkwitz reached into his bag of tricks and that worked, then Mason Pack atoned for a mistake by the special teams unit by coming up with a huge blocked punt. Those are the types of plays you need to beat a more talented team. The troubling thing for Missouri is that, aside from two somewhat fluky plays, its offense hasn’t gotten into position to score. That’s no huge surprise. Georgia’s defense is elite. You can tell Missouri doesn’t have much confidence it can run the ball (13 carries for 35 yards), so Drinkwitz is compensating with a lot of swing passes and jet sweeps and stuff like that. I still think the Tigers need to connect on some downfield passes to open things up a bit underneath, but Bazelak really hasn’t had the time to look deep, so that puts the offense in a tough spot. Wouldn’t be surprised to see some more trick plays in the second half.

On the defensive side of the ball, Missouri started off looking like it did last week: Getting gashed on the ground. I actually think the Bulldog staff started to outsmart itself a bit in the second quarter by throwing downfield a bunch instead of sticking with the run. Georgia’s running back stable is crazy talented and a tough matchup for Mizzou both on the ground and as pass-catchers. Missouri adjusted by blitzing anyone and everyone, but that puts a cornerback group without Jarvis Ware in a tough spot. You just can’t expect Ish Burdine or Jaylon Carlies to be able to guard George Pickens one on one.

Overall, it wasn’t super pretty, but that half could have been worse. Mizzou is still in this game. Getting a stop on the first drive of this half would be huge. You don’t want to fall behind by two scores again against this Georgia defense. I expect a heavy dose of the run from the Bulldogs on this drive. We’ll see how Missouri handles it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.