ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Happy Draft Day Eve!!

Thurman Merman

Letterman
Mar 2, 2016
Realistically list your top two choices that you want your NFL team to select from at their spot in the draft. No trading up no players falling. Based off projections and mock drafts list two players and state a reason to take each, not necessarily why one over the other.

Since I'm a cowboys fan I know from listening to their draft show coverage it's either Elliot or Ramsey.

Why Ramsey: best talent in the draft, only Elliot on the offensive side is a comparable talent in the draft. Only reason to take him is because he's a freak, like their pick last year can play CB or Safety, gives multiple options in coverage formation.

Why Elliot: Simple, best offensive talent in the draft. Maybe not saying much, maybe Gurley is the better player (as a comparison) but Elliot is a three down back, can catch can pass protect and in fact excels at pass protection. Another factor is, you don't select need at four or in the top 10 outside of QB. A RB has a short shelf life but if you are in win now mode, have by far the best OL in football and can put a talent back there, you do it.

As to one over the other, it's a coin toss. Elliot has a chance to crack 2000 yards in a season within his rookie contract behind this line, at least once. We saw the difference Murray made, why wouldn't you want to recapture that? As far as Ramsey, again I'm not going to pout over taking the #1 talent in the draft. He gives you two defensive backs who can cover any receiving option on the field with Jones. If he ends up a safety long-term over being a corner, can two similar players play well when not in a coverage situation, that's my only question. If he is an elite corner, which I can't say then it's irrelevant.

That said my choice is Elliot, I'm not a firm believer that a great back seven can make up for an average front four. I am sure that what worked two years ago will work again, ball control, t.o.p. and wearing a defense out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.