ADVERTISEMENT

How did the committee do?

mizzoucobra

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 30, 2006
Random thoughts:

1. ku got a shitty bracket to be in. 23 of the top 25 ken pomeroy teams made the tournament (2 were ineligible), 8 are in their region. It does seem that ku struggles less with great teams than crap teams, so perhaps that's not the best thing for those of you emotionally invested in their postseason. UConn, the 9 seed, checks in at #25 overall and is a proven team in March...so that could be interesting.

2. The west is a shit job by the committee imo. Oregon, (rated 9th by Ken Pomeroy) getting a one seed had me scratching my head. Impressive performance in Vegas over the weekend, but I think they profile much closer to a #3 than a #1. And their bracket isn't strong either...5 top 25 KP teams. A very good OU team, a pretty good aTm team, a incredibly overseeded Duke squad, a Drew-Coached Baylor team and Oregon State who checks in at #60 nationally and earned a 7 seed? Ok....

3. Someone really wants Michigan State and Virginia to play each year. Not sure how intelligent it is to have the #2 and #3 ranked teams playing in the same region.

4. Biggest reach on inclusion? I'll say Temple. Check in at #86 nationally and don't even have to go to the play-in game? Sure.

5. Biggest overseed? I'm sticking with OSU (outside of Temple). At #60, they share little in common with a team receiving a lower seed in the first round.

6. Lower seeded teams who deserved more imo (rank-- team -- seed)
--10th Purdue #5 seed
--12th Wichita State #11 Seed
--25th UCONN #9 Seed
--27th Vandy #11 Seed
--28th Gonzaga #11 Seed
--33rd Stephen F. Austin 14th Seed

7. Biggest Snub? Either St. Mary's or Valpo. Both are top 40 teams who won their conference. I don't feel bad for them, as they know what they have to do to get in...but those are strong numbers (compared to say Temple or Oregon State.)

Reactions: rtsitzes and NTiger
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.