ADVERTISEMENT

I believe it's really unfair to bash most of these players and here's why -

PhiDelt02

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jan 26, 2006
These guys, speaking of the 7 freshman and sophomores -- were completely mis-cast.

Not to be offensive, but the juniors and seniors on this squad were absolutely as pathetic as it gets. I can't even find a word strong enough to describe how bad the upperclassman were on this squad. Bello is the worst player I've ever seen at a P5 school... plain and simple. And it's hilarious that he takes every 3 he gets an opportunity to take. I'm the type that rarely wants to tell guards/wing players that they can't take open 3's -- but he's one that I would put the full fledged RED STOP LIGHT ON. Post was terrible for all but about 3-4 games of his career -- the first few games of conference season he flashed that he had the ability to be solid -- but he never had mentality for it. Rosburg? Why pile on. But I'd guess he couldn't start for 20% of mid majors at center. I really hate to pile on these guys that chose Mizzou, because i truly appreciate that they did -- but just wanting to call a spade a spade here.

I forget about Shamburger... he's actually a solid player... but on a good team... he's a backup PG playing 10-12 minutes per game. Not playing 30+ minutes every game.

I feel bad for the bashing that JW3 gets. He SHOULD NOT be a go to guy... and he probably should never be a go to guy. But on a good team, as a soph, he is maybe the 7th best option. "Maybe". As an upperclassman, I see his ceiling as being a 3rd option but he more likely should be a 4th option. So it's unfair that he's in the position of being the number one guy. At this point, I don't see him ever being as good as Bowers was.

Clark was coming on before his injury, but in no way, shape or form should he have been a "go to guy". I'd say that he and JW3 shared that honor. He's more of a shooting guard in a point guards body. My opinion is that he's a poor man's Michael Dixon. I like Wesley Clark, and I think he can be solid if he's back fully healthy.

As for the freshman -- not a single one of them is disappointing to me. But far to much stress/pressure was put on them when they were in the game. On good teams, they are playing spot duty surrounded by veterans. And I' m guessing that each of them would have looked solid in those kind of typical roles for freshman. Take any one of these freshman, and surround them with Zaire Taylor, JT Tiller, Matt Lawrence, Demarre Carroll, and Leo Lyons -- and i bet they look damn solid for freshman. Unfortunately they were not in that position.

Sadly you wonder if the young core 7 of freshman and sophomores will stick around together to see what they can do as they mature and hopefully add a big man to the mix.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News