ADVERTISEMENT

Importance of coaching

mizzoucobra

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 30, 2006
I know there's been a lot said about this over the past few months (and even further back.) Gabe made the argument that it's all about execution, and in-game coaching is effectively a sideshow (i'd link if Rivals ever got their shit togethter).

But consider...

In the national title game, against a team with 4 seniors who had just been to the final four a year earlier, and had defeated 38-0 UK two days earlier, Coach K and his squad TRAIL by 9 points with a hair over 13 minutes to go.

Okafor, the runner up for P.O.Y. was saddled with three (and would soon pick up a 4th). Winslow, who was having a fantastic tournament, also had 3 fouls. That was the extent of Duke's quality frontline.

They were facing one of the premier frontcourts in college basketball without their starting 4 and 5, down 9, with 13 to go.

What does he do? Nothing? No...

Calls a T.O. Designs a beautiful play for his suddenly hot freshman Grayson Allen who drills a three.

Switches defenses from man, to zone, to matchup zone, to pressure d, to what I could swear was a triangle and two devoted solely to Kaminsky...but my eyes could've deceived me.

Over the next 13 minutes his team full of freshman stymie a great wisconsin offense for FIFTEEN POINTS IN THIRTEEN MINUTES.

This being the team that couldn't be stopped much at all throughout the tournament.

Is that a matter of saying "well, you guys better get it done?" Or is it matter of in-game adjustments that completely frustrated Wisconsin's flow.

Duke had NO business winning the game at that point. If you were a betting man, they approached +400 on the live line.

Insert Coach K and his masterful adjustments. His freshmen, feeding off of this momentum, stepped up and executed plays with precision and knocked down shots.

Is it all coaching? No...that's silly. But coaching was a huge part of tonight's win. Not just adjusments, but identifying and developing players who can contribute in big spots and will effectively carry out what you ask.

Coaching is important. Very important.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.