ADVERTISEMENT

Is former Mizzou Basketball "Play by Play" Announcer on his way out with NBC?

Graphic Edge Guy

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 24, 2001
Many of you young pups "possibly even likely" don't know that Sports Broadcasting legend Bob Costas was once the voice of Mizzou Tiger Basketball back in the day.

He always stopped in at Gasper's restaurant in Kingdom City on the way back to St. Louis after games and commented in one of his books they had "the best homemade pie" he ever tasted.

Hard to believe now...but he was the feature guest speaker at our Spring Sports Banquet when I Coached at tiny Valle Catholic HS in Ste. Genevieve back in 1979...and I had the pleasure of sitting next to him and picking his brain for the evening

He lived and worked in St. Louis at the ripe old age of 22 as he started with KMOX radio and called ABA games for the St. Louis Spirits as well as co-hosting the "Sports Open Line" call-in show.

Costas went on to become possibly THE biggest name ever in the sports broadcasting world.

Last week it was announced that he would not be the host for the Winter Olympics...something he has done for every Summer and Winter Olympics since 1988.

Now NBS has announced he will no longer be involved with their Super Bowl broadcast.

Costas is as "ageless" in appearance as Casey Kasem (google this guy also, youngsters)...but one has to wonder if he is nearing the end of the line.

I enjoyed watching his rapid career rise up the ranks in the broadcasting world...and must admit I am saddened to see him phased out.

I can't imagine just "one guy" who can step in and take his place for all the roles he has filled for so many major sporting events accross the spectrum.

If this is the end of the line...farewell old friend...you had a great run.

STORY: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_7b048fc4-1731-507b-af01-183a5dd94751.html

Bob Costas, Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Costas

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.