ADVERTISEMENT

Just watched last year's Cactus Bowl

OrlandoKeith

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2009
West Virginia goes fast. Like lightning fast play calling and the ball is snapped before Arizona St was ready. ASU line did very well against the run. ASU defensive backs were horrible in that game. Based on their 2015 season scores I'm thinking ASU secondary was their weakness. Just horrible coverage. And it was only three guys to cover most times. WVU almost always has attached TE as a sixth lineman. Skyler Howard play fakes well but can be erratic. Overthrowing lots of times.

On defense WVU is so suspect to the middle of the field. It was like watching arena football. They have 3 down line men and then 8 guys who all looked the same in size. Undersized but fast and quick. WVU has truly sold out designing their D to defend the B12 pass happy offenses. I can see why Baylor just ran over them. Once you get past the LOS it's virtually space as much as you can gain. They rarely rush 4. Sometimes they sent a secondary guy or 2 on a corner blitz but ASU was successful countering that. WVU big lineman were gassed a lot. Now that might be because bowl game was weeks after the season was over. I'm hoping this first game they aren't in season condition.

Special teams. ASU almost always kicked it in the end zone so no advancing. WVU didn't and ASU had some success but generally WVU covered kick offs ok. Not great but ok. I could see a return for a TD if Ross finds the holes. WVU kicker was money at FGs but remember will be suspended for this game.

All in all it could have gone either way. It was arena football. Bottom line MIZZOU secondary is they key on defense because ASU was pathetic. Also bonus if MIZZOU can ball control and keep their O off the field.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.