KENTRELL BROTHERS Q&A

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
With Vikings media:

First off, I just want to thank Coach Zimmer and the Vikings for drafting me. This has been a dream of mine since I was a kid, and now I’m getting the opportunity to play for a great organization with a great defense. Again thanks to Coach Zimmer, and I’m excited to get out there and play for a great team.

Q: Did they have a lot of contact with you, whether it was down at the Senior Bowl in Alabama or throughout the pre-draft process at all?

A: Yeah, through the Senior Bowl and the Combine I spoke with them a lot, just getting to know them a little bit and them telling me where they see me playing and where I can improve at, what I was good at, and just basic conversation like that.

Q: Do you see yourself primarily as a Mike linebacker?

A: Our defense in college was a lot different that what they do at the Vikings, so our outside linebacker was not really the same as the Vikings, but I see myself playing middle. I know that’s what I’ve been told by coaches so far, middle linebacker and special teams player. But wherever they put me, I’m excited to go out there and compete for a spot.

Q: Being a little shorter than average linebacker height, how do you make up for that on the field?

A: A lot of people see that as a disadvantage, but I seem to have advantages in multiple ways. I’m able to stay low on long linemen, I’m able to hit low on running backs. I just don’t see that as a disadvantage as a lot of other people do. I’ve worked well with it so far, and I think I can continue to do that with the Vikings.

Q: Did you watch much Adrian Peterson growing up?

A: Actually, I did watch him. I was at the game where he broke his collarbone, and scored a touchdown, I was actually there at that game. I went to a lot of Oklahoma games as a kid, so I’ve been a fan of him growing up.

Q: What’s it like to become a teammate of his?

A: I mean a superstar like Adrian Peterson, it’s just crazy growing up watching him and now I’m getting to be his teammate. I’m sure he’s a hard worker as well as the rest of the team is, I’m happy to pick up and get some advice from him, and just follow whatever he is trying to lead me with.

Q: Despite your height you had three blocked kicks this season. What do you attribute that to?

A: Blocking field goals and blocking punts is really all determination. Being on field goal block is all heart. All you have to do is go in there and get as much push as you can and get your hands up to try to block the kick. I was able to do that three times this year. Really that takes heart and determination, knowing that you’re going to go in and get that block.

Q: How much conversation did you have with the Vikings about the possibility of playing special teams?

A: Besides the Combine and Senior Bowl I haven’t talked to them about special teams, but I know that that’s a beginning point for every rookie. I’m ready to play on all special teams if it comes down to that.

Q: Coaches have said that you’re a film room junkie. Is that something you enjoy, breaking down film and seeing how to improve in that respect?

A: Oh yeah, film I think is one of the most underrated tools being used in football. I think film is what set me apart from a lot of players. I was able to be in positions that people didn’t think I could be in because of film. Just game planning and learning new techniques from other players, and getting little bitty tendencies from teams, is a great way to get an advantage over your opponent.

Q: 152 tackles, kept stacking them right?

A: I mean that’s what film does for you, it helps you get to the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.