LIVE: MIKE ALDEN'S FINAL PRESS CONFERENCE

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
I will pass along info in this thread.

Alden thanking Sandy Matthew who has been his "right hand person" for most (if not all) of his time at Missouri.

Says he's talked with Mack Rhoades "at least every other day" since Rhoades was hired. "Those conversations have gone great." Said they've bounced ideas off each other and Alden has been available to answer Rhoades' questions.

Alden said he laid out eight to ten things Rhoades should view as a priority. That included multimedia rights, contract with Nike, softball stadium.

Alden says it still hasn't hit him completely that he's going to be moving on after 17 years. Says the family is happy with where they're at, probably even more so than the day he announced his retirement. Says there are things along the way that are emotional.

Alden confirms Mack Rhoades will start on April 26th.

Asked about Loftin's interest and engagement in athletics, Alden says it's a positive. Says he really enjoys working with Loftin. Says Loftin "gets it" as far as the priority of athletics to a University.

Alden asked about any potential misperceptions of him: Says he's heard a lot of talk about people wishing he had been more open over his time at Mizzou (as far as showing his personality, etc). Says on some issues, people said maybe he should have been a little more out front in dealing with things. Says as he thought about it, that is probably accurate.

I asked him about the couple of things he would view as his biggest successes and also a couple he would change if he could go back: He says there are "a variety of things" that he may have done differently. Doesn't specify any one in particular. On his successes "We've become much more relevant on the national scene…because of some of the things that athletics has done." Says the academic reputation is outstanding.

Asked about conference realignment: "We were really nervous. Those are those sleepless nights…That in itself was amazingly stressful." Says there were 60-90 days of unbelievable stress.

Asked about move to the SEC and if it's the number one thing in his legacy: "That move because of what it's going to do for our institution 20 years down the road is almost immeasurable…I'm very proud to have been associated with that."

Asked about how the hoops program got where it is: "My hope is…that there's going to be a more sustained success. Why has that happened? I don't know." "It's probably a combination of, whether it's recruiting philosophy, whether it's investment philosophy…it could be a whole combination of things."

Says as he looks at it with Kim, he's committed to the institution, it's his belief that Kim will get it stabilized. Says immediate gratification, which is harder these days, is more glaring than it used to be. Says leadership has to make sure that it allows time for success to happen.

"I'm so passionate about our kids and wanting us to win…you want to make sure that you're part of the team that makes sure that you not only maintain (success) but you grow on that."

"The term consistency is what is lacking in what we have in men's basketball." Says they didn't capitalize on Quin's run to the Elite Eight. On Mike Anderson: "His tenure, we wish would have been longer, but then he decided to go to Arkansas." Says they didn't capitalize on Haith's first season.

Asked about Haith and the Miami investigation: Says it definitely hampered Frank and the program. Says going back he thinks they did their due diligence on Haith and they were excited to bring him here. He did some good things. Says he believes they did a good job handling that investigation.

Alden says he can't envision a model where student-athletes are compensated like employees and maintain amateur status.

Alden says "I never wanted to be an AD when I was 60 years old."

Alden said he got calls, but never wanted to be an AD anywhere other than Mizzou. Says he has no interest in conference level administrative jobs.

I asked Alden if there was anything that could be done or changed administratively to help sorts move from really successful to the point where they're winning conference titles: "I think Mizzou needs to keep doing what they're doing and that domino's going to fall...We're so close on a variety of sports."

Alden says the biggest leap for any individual sport from the Big 12 to the SEC is in baseball.

Alden says the location of Taylor Stadium presents challenges as far as attendance and fan access. References Vandy as a program that has overcome some similar hurdles.

On Jamieson's situation: "I have a lot of confidence in Tim Jamieson…and I also have a lot of confidence in Mack Rhoades." Says it's a chance for those two to get together and put a plan together to continue to build the baseball program.

Asked about Loftin's comments wanting to add men's tennis: "What we need to do in my opinion…we've got to continue to invest in those 20 sports before we consider anything else."

Alden asked if he knows how much money Mizzou will get from SEC Network, he says "No, I wish I did." Says Mack Rhoades will get more info on that at SEC meetings in Destin at the end of May.

Alden says Mizzou will end this year (low estimate) with a four million dollar surplus. Says the AD reserve was about 400K when he started, is about 14.5 million now.

Asked about Deloss Dodds' comment that Texas' bad years were like Mizzou's good years: "I do remember that." Says he called and texted Dodds and got no answer. "I was really disappointed in that. I saw no validity in that, I saw no need for that…To me that was an arrogant comment and I saw no validity in that." "Since then I think the Mizzou Tigers have done pretty darn well. I'm sure the Longhorns have done fine. I don't know because I really don't pay attention to that."

Alden says he believes his departure will help speed up thawing of relationships between Big 12 schools and Mizzou. Not because it's a personal issue with him, but just a different cast of characters.

I asked him about kansas. He said he was disappointed kansas chose to discontinue the rivalry. "In the heat of the moment, I understand you're making decisions because you're ticked, you're upset, whatever the term you may use…but you're making a decision that's a generational type decision…We're making decisions for decades of people before us and decades of people after us." Says if the rivalry comes back, it will be stronger than ever.

Alden on Gary Pinkel: "In my opinion, he's at the top of his game right now." Says he expects Pinkel to coach for "a long time."

Asked about mood around the office, Sandy Matthew chokes up during her answer. Said it was awkward and tough at first, but people are getting more used to it as time goes on.

Matthew says that while fans were surprised by his decision to go to the college of education, she was not. "I was surprised at the timing somewhat, but not at the path he's going to take."

This post was edited on 4/14 10:41 AM by GabeD

This post was edited on 4/14 10:43 AM by GabeD

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.