MIZZOU CONFIRMS J3 and BELLO LEAVING

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
Here is the official release

COLUMBIA, Mo. - Sophomore forward Johnathan Williams III has decided to transfer from the Mizzou Men’s Basketball program.

“We appreciate the character and competiveness that Johnathan brought to our Mizzou program and we certainly wish him the best of luck in the future,” said head coach Kim Anderson. “Our Mizzou coaching staff will continue to build a foundation for championship basketball at our first-class institution."

In addition, junior guard Deuce Bello intends to graduate from the University of Missouri this spring and transfer to pursue graduate studies at another institution. The Mizzou men’s basketball program is cooperatively helping Bello with his potential future options.

This is me again: The question now becomes, what's next? We don't know. It is possible this is all that happens. I can say with confidence that as of today, these are the only players that have requested a release and made known their intentions to transfer. That doesn't preclude anyone else from doing so, but as of right now, I don't have any information that anyone is leaving or plans to leave. We'll see what develops on that front.

Brian has said he expects the juco duo of Martavious Payne and Russell Woods to commit on an upcoming visit. Those two replace J3 and Deuce on the roster. Mizzou has one more spot. I think they want a high school player, but am not positive on that. A fifth year transfer is also an option. That would fill the roster if no one else leaves.

Of course, the Tigers also have to hire an assistant coach. I continue to hear they want a coach who already has some D1 experience. The name we continue to hear is former Mississippi State coach Rick Ray, though sources indicate that Ray will have options besides Mizzou, potentially even as a head coach somewhere. Not sure of a timetable on that.

Kim Anderson meets with the media at 1:30 tomorrow. We'll ask him about these subjects and more and keep you guys updated.

This post was edited on 4/7 6:17 PM by GabeD

This post was edited on 4/7 6:23 PM by GabeD

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.