ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL RECRUITING MIZZOU RISES FROM THE DEAD: THE STORY BEHIND THE COMMITMENT

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
Okay, so as promised, I'll give you guys a little peek into my world on this one. Really, I didn't keep much from you. I wasn't 100% sure Missouri was the choice until he said it (although I was pretty confident when I left my house today).

Anyway, this wasn't on our radar at the beginning of the summer. Coming out of the OV, Missouri felt like it had done everything it could. But they didn't know if it was enough. He took the unofficial to Georgia, Oklahoma people remained extremely confident. Oregon is sitting on piles of money, but Nwaneri was never going that far from home. The visit to Eugene probably helped raise the price tag a little bit, but he was never going there.

About three weeks ago I started having people, including your own @stljesstx tell me he was coming to Mizzou. A few said he'd told Drinkwitz already. I didn't know whether I believed it, but even if I did I knew I couldn't say it. Because being someone's secret boyfriend doesn't count. A silent commit isn't a commit until he says it out loud.

Anyway, there were 2-3 people who remained supremely confident throughout and I give them credit for that. I was more confident than I let on publicly, but I can't say I knew for sure by any means. A couple of weeks ago someone from Mizzou told me they didn't want to be the leader. Oklahoma and Georgia were hammering each other on the recruiting trail and Missouri was just lurking off to the side, knowing Nwaneri had already told them he was coming, but not wanting anyone else to know it or to make waves.

I put in the Futurecast about ten days ago because I really did believe they'd get him based on where I was getting info from. But honestly, I did it a little bit because this heater in both sports was driving business and I knew that would help. So let's say I was confident, but not nearly as confident as I usually am when I go on the record with a prediction. But through all the noise, the 2-3 people I trusted most in this kept telling me "he's coming. It's done."

Earlier this week, there was some hesitation. A couple of people from Mizzou told me they were worried. Oklahoma upped the offer. There seemed to be some doubt. I'm not sure there was. I think it honestly might have been a little gamesmanship to get me to be publicly skeptical about it so that Mizzou could go back to not being viewed as the leader. I don't know that, but it's my guess. If so, well played.

In truth, I think that has been done for three weeks. But that didn't mean it was easy. I asked one source after the announcement if Nwaneri had really committed three weeks ago. Yes. How often were you worried about holding on to it? "Every (bleeping) day."

Maybe these words will come back to bite me, but after talking to Will and his family, I don't have much concern this is going to change. He just doesn't seem like that type of kid. He has no time for the spotlight. I think he made his choice and I'd be surprised if it changes (unless Missouri's season implodes then all bets are off).

A couple of quotes that didn't make my story:

Chijioke Nwaneri: "I am highly elated about this decision. He’s a homeboy. I believe he is going to a school that really will equip him well with football and outside of football"

Jamar Mozee: "You want the best thing for your player and that’s what he chose and I am excited for him. I want everybody to know that. I’m excited he’s a Tiger and I’m a Tiger fan. I’m gonna cheer.

"I think he fits. He’s got a really good relationship with coach Drinkwitz. They talk almost daily and they’ve gotten close. He just fits. Coach Peoples they’ve gotten a close relationship. I think it’s a great place for him. He’s a very quiet, humble type of guy. I think it’s somewhere he can have success early and that matters to him. Being close to home, he has a big family and those things are important to him."

That's it from here guys. Live show and a story on the front, Clint Cosgrove posted an analysis, Sean Williams will have a follow up in the morning. Enjoy it. This one was big.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.