ADVERTISEMENT

Mizzou vs Non-Elite Recruiting SEC Schools

swmizzoufan20

Letterman
Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Gabe's 10 thoughts brought me back to this. I saw yesterday that Malzahn was 60-18 vs non-Bama, LSU and maybe Georgia schools. That got me to thinking about Mizzou since joining the SEC. Under GP in the Big XII, Mizzou really didn't compete that well with Oklahoma. They had the one win I believe in his tenure but honestly for the most parts the games weren't that close. I don't really remember the Texas results and I know Mizzou beat them in the last year in the Big XII when Josey went down but I don't remember beating them very many more times. Really, GP built the program by beating teams around Mizzou that recruited like Mizzou.

So, let's look at the SEC.

Pinkel
33-19 overall
17-15 vs SEC
Losses: Alabama (Twice), A&M (Once), Mississippi State (Once), Arkansas (Once), Auburn (Once), Tennessee (Once), Florida (Twice), South Carolina (Twice), Kentucky (Once), Vanderbilt (Twice), Georgia (Three), Syracuse (Once), Indiana (Once)

Record vs SEC Recruiting Elite: 5-9
Record vs Non-SEC Recruiting Elite: 28-10

Odom
25-25 overall
13-19 vs SEC
Losses: Alabama (Once), Auburn (Once), Tennessee (Twice), Florida (Twice), South Carolina (Three), Kentucky (Four), Vanderbilt (Once), Georgia (Four), LSU (Once), Wyoming (Once), Middle Tennessee State (Once), Texas (Once), Oklahoma State (Once), West Virginia (Once), Purdue (Once)

Record vs SEC Recruiting Elite: 2-9
Record vs Non-SEC Recruiting Elite: 23-16

Drinkwitz
5-4 overall
5-4 vs SEC
Losses: Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee

Record vs SEC Recruiting Elite: 1-3
Record vs Non-SEC Recruiting Elite: 4-1

Analysis: If you could win 1/3 of your games vs the SEC Recruiting Elite I think you have to be happy. Most years that's 3 games so a 1-2 record. Next year you would love to beat Florida or A&M at home or Georgia on the road. Pinkel won 75% of the time in the SEC not playing those schools. If you could go 7-2 every year in those other 9 games I think you have to feel good about where you are. Odom won less than 60% of the time playing the non-SEC elites. I don't know that this says anything that we didn't know other than Drinkwitz has done a great job like GP did versus teams Missouri recruits around.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.