Not open for further replies.

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
PRE-GAME

I will post some updates, thoughts, commentary, tweets, videos, etc in this original post. I will simply edit my OP. You are welcome to reply and comment as you want. Please do your best to keep thoughts to the game thread.

It is BLAZING out here. I would imagine it will keep it from being a sellout.

For your pregame enjoyment:

Normally we'll offer some analysis and keys and such here. This week will not be that time. The analysis is Missouri will win and it will not be close. If that is not the case, there are issues.

Couple of quick pregame thoughts: Games around the country have been ugly and teams have looked rusty. If Mizzou is up like 21-10 at halftime, THE SEASON IS NOT OVER. It just might be okay. My prediction this morning was 54-9. I see no reason to change that. I'm 2-0 against the spread so far, so I am probably pretty smart.

Stands maybe 2/3 full about eight minutes to kick. Last year's opener got a little more than 60 thousand. Probably something similar today, maybe a little bit less.

No surprises in the starting lineups for Mizzou.

FIRST QUARTER

Missouri wins the toss and defers. SEMO gets the ball.

Here. We. Go.

This won't be a play by play. I'll pass on some big plays, thoughts, developments, etc.

Freshmen Terez Hall and Cam Hilton shed the redshirt, both on the special teams unit. Fatony is kicking to rest Baggett's back.

Fatony's kick into the end zone.

SEMO picks up a first down, but the Tigers then get a stop on third and ten. Redhawks will punt from their own 46. Aaron Penton drops back to receive the punt. Scratch that, SEMO keeps the offense on the field and Missouri burns a timeout. The Tigers had the punt team on the field.

After the timeout, SEMO still has the offense on the field. I like this. SEMO knows they're going to have to take plenty of chances to stay in this game. Why not take one off the bat?

The sneaky Redhawks go with a quick kick by Tay Bender. Out of bounds at the Tiger 36 yard line.

We've got a personal foul on SEMO for a player continuing to play after his helmet came off. I hate that rule. Tigers into Redhawks territory.

Hansbrough with a 20 yard run. He's hurt on the sideline. Now up, but hobbling around. He's the one guy Missouri absolutely CANNOT lose. Didn't look super serious, but it's clearly a concern.

Now Evan Boehm asks out of the game and limps off. Brad McNulty replaces him on 3rd and 11.

Perfect pass and a nice catch in the front corner of the end zone by J'Mon Moore. The Tigers take a 7-0 lead. I'm telling you, the wideouts aren't a concern. Not a huge one anyway.

PAT good. 7-0 Mizzou 11:28 left 1st quarter. 5 plays, 64 yards, 1:15 on the drive.

At some point in that series, Malik Cuellar came in for his first play as a Tiger.

Fatony puts the kickoff out the back of the end zone. So he's got the leg.

Terry Beckner Jr. is on the field at defensive tackle on this series.

Russell Hansbrough now up and jogging on the Mizzou sideline. Very good news.

Nate Howard was on for the last play, shedding his redshirt.

SEMO goes deep on third and five and Kenya Dennis makes a fantastic play to knock the ball away.

Evan Boehm back on the field for Mizzou's second series. Russell Hansbrough standing on the sideline with his helmet in hand which is a good sign.

Boehm at center, Witter at tailback on this series. May have been planned that way already. Jason Reese the TE.

J'Mon Moore just about had his second long TD of the day. Great pass by Mauk in single coverage simply went through his hands.

First catch of Keyon Dilosa's career goes for a first down and 13 yards.

Emanuel Hall in the game on this series as well. Thomas Richard and DeSean Blair the other receivers. Complete breakdown by the offensive line, Mauk just throws it up for grabs and SEMO grabs it at the three. You expect him to be smarter than that. Would have been a long field goal, but Baggett can make it from 51 yards. Mauk has to know not to do that.

SEMO fumbles a pitch on third down. The Redhawks cover it, but have to punt from their own 5.

Ish Witter: 4 carries, -1 yard. Yes, Hansbrough must be healthy.

It's not a sellout, but the stands have filled in relatively nicely.

Touchdown Nate Brown. 24 yards dropped right over his shoulder. Late flag on the play in the end zone.

Maty Mauk thus far: 5-9, 93 yards, 2 TD, 1 pick. Rating of 193.5.

PAT good. 14-0 Mizzou, 4:49 1Q. 5 plays, 54 yards, 1:59.

Beckner, Howard and Logan Cheadle all in on this series.

Tyler Hunt gets a couple carries, replaced by Morgan Steward on third down and Mauk just has to throw it away to avoid the sack. Tigers will punt for the first time.

Russell Hansbrough out for the day with an unspecified injury. Trainer Rex Sharp made the call per what we were told. My GUESS is he could play if he had to but no need to push it vs SEMO.

AJ Logan at DT on this series.

END OF 1: Mizzou 14, SEMO 0. Redhawks have 10 yards of offense, 35 of penalties.

SECOND QUARTER

I'd expect to see Drew Lock the next time Missouri gets the ball on offense.

Mizzou gets the stop. Lock in the offensive huddle on the sidelines. He'll start at the 31.

Lock's first play is a four yard completion to Sean Culkin. Third and four, he hits J'Mon Moore for 22. Then he hits Nate Brown on play action for 21. 3-3 for 47 yards. Which is decent.

Thomas Richard makes the first catch of his career, a screen for four yards.

Lock is sacked on third and six. Drive stalls at the 21. Andrew Baggett from 39 yards is down the middle.

17-0 Mizzou. 9:54 Q2. Lock goes 4-5 for 51 yards on his first collegiate drive. 8 plays, 48 yards, 3:15.

Bender with a decent run. But Charles Harris knocks the ball away, Ian Simon recovers it, Missouri takes over and Mauk is back at QB.

First three and out. Mauk is pressured, got away, but his pass for Morgan Steward was incomplete. Second punt of the day for the Tigers.

Josh Moore in on this series now. All eight freshmen on the depth chart have played. Moore in on that tackle with Brothers and Walter Brady.

SEMO is in Mizzou territory for the first time. Now 2nd and 10 at the 46.

Redhawks have now driven to the 17. SEMO started this drive with 33 total yards, now has 110. Intentional grounding now pushes them back to the 24.

Kentrell Brothers with a stop on third down. He has 11 tackles. In the first half. Redhawks settle for a 35 yard field goal attempt. It's good. 17-3 Tigers, 2:19 left 2Q. 16 plays, 76 yards, 6:20 on the drive.

Second consecutive three and out as Reese drops a pass from Mauk. Not sure he was going to get the first down anyway. Tigers will punt it back to SEMO with 1:22 left. The offense has hit a lull the last two drives. All told, Mauk's last three series have been three and outs.

Russell Hansbrough has two carries for 23 yards. All the other players have 12 carries for 7 yards. I'll stand by my claim that the running game besides Hansbrough is an issue.

Brothers makes his 12th tackle.

SEMO is at midfield with 45 seconds left. Just used its last timeout though.

Offensive PI pushes SEMO back. Mizzou now calls a timeout forcing the Redhawks to punt with 10 seconds left.

Penton fumbles the punt. He covers it himself, but no time left.

HALFTIME: Missouri 17, SEMO 3. Tigers looked great for 20 minutes, pretty poor for ten.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.