ADVERTISEMENT

My first encounter with closed practices....

drecar

Retired Number
Gold Member
Jun 26, 2001
Many years ago I had transferred to MU from a junior college. I was living with an old friend of mine and we wanted to go watch the football practice primarily because I wanted to see Al Chettle who sat behind me for years at SLUH, We went to the old practice fields located where the Football facility is now. It had two levels for practicing. I remember a guard hanging around the gate and told my friend just act like you belong and he won't say a thing to us. We.walked right through the gate and walked toward the fields. There a was a wooden tower sitting on the edge of the upper field so we decided we would sit on it and watch the practice taking place on the lower field. I knew Al's number and we looked for him but did not see him. All of a sudden whisltes started blowing and the players started running to the upper field.

Out of the clear blue we heard a voice asking why we were on the tower. We couldn't make out where the voice was coming from because of the noise of all that beef running to the top level Finally, I saw Al and I started yelling Phonse, over here, over here. He looked at me and then ran even faster to get off of the field. All of sudden the voice came back and said "who told you to sit on my tower?" We looked both ways and did not see a soul. We shrugged our shoulders at each other and then we heard a voice screaming "who told you that you could sit on my damned tower"? Then my roommate looked up and pointed up to me. Lo and behold looking down was Dan Devine gesturing wildly with his megaphone and screaming to get the hell off his practice fields.

We ran towards the gate like men on fire. We didn't stop until we hit the Faurot parking lot where his car was. That was my first meeting with Coach Devine and the last practice I ever tried to sneak in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.