ADVERTISEMENT

My thoughts on the Boyd decision

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
First off, big surprise. For months we've thought Missouri to be in good position. And this isn't just from sources around Missouri. We've had people close to Boyd tell us a few times they thought he'd commit to the Tigers by the end of the summer. So, yeah, it's a surprise.

As is almost always the case with these situations, the reality isn't anywhere near either of the polar arguments. Losing Boyd hurts. Anyone who is arguing otherwise or simply dismisses it isn't being honest. At the same time, losing Boyd and Hayes doesn't mean the whole class is a lost cause and can't be a success.

They're both kids Missouri would have really liked to have (Tony Adams too for that matter). But none of them are can't miss program changers necessarily. This isn't minimizing the losses or bagging on the kids, just pointing out they aren't Gabbert/Sheldon/DGB as recruits (Trevor Trout might be FWIW).

The optimists will point out it's a long way till signing day and the kids could flip and, yeah, sure they could. I do think it's worth pointing out MOST kids don't though. We focus on the ones that flip, but my guess is probably 80% of kids actually sign with the school to which they initially commit. So it's possible, sure, but not something I think should count on.

Anyway, just figured I'd throw some thoughts here rather than trying to answer five different questions in other threads.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.