ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL NEWCOMERS TO WATCH

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
With camp starting on Thursday, I've been doing a lot of checking with people I know that know more than I do. Trying to get some information on which newcomers are looking good and could be contributors. Here are some things I've picked up:

*Alex Ross has impressed all summer. It will be very surprising if he isn't the top running back. Same goes for Chris Black at wide receiver.

*Number two very well could be Damarea Crockett based on what I've heard. The staff really likes him and given that the running game wasn't super productive last year, new legs could be the way they go.

*On the offensive line, I'd fully expect Tre'Vour Simms and Trystan Castillo to play. I don't think either one starts the opener, but I wouldn't rule out one or both being in the top five at some point in the season. Kyle Mitchell is likely to be in the mix as well

*At receiver, a name I've heard three or four times now which kind of surprised me was Dimetrios Mason. I'm hearing he's been very impressive. He was a very late add, but looks like he could be one of those Gary Pinkel type finds late in the process. Have also heard some promising things on juco transfer Dominic Collins, who I think could find a role in the top six or seven in the receiving corps.

*Tight end is going to be the most interesting position to watch for Mizzou. The Oklahoma/Baylor offenses used those guys in a lot of ways. I think Missouri may do the same. Brendan Scales or Albert Okwuegbunam could find his way on to the field, but I don't think both. At this point, I'd lean Scales, but that's not much more than a guess.

*Over on defense, we've said since the spring we expect Cale Garrett to play. My guess is he'll start out on special teams and work in defensively as the season goes along. It's also no secret that Tucker McCann is almost certainly the starting placekicker.

*One guy whose name I've heard a few times is Rock Bridge product Tre Williams. He's always had all the physical tools, but is a kid who probably needed to be in more of a structured environment to thrive. I'm hearing that's happening this summer.

*Greg Taylor almost certainly factors in on defense and special teams as well.

*A wild card guy who I don't know where he's going to play is Christian Holmes. Not sure how much of a factor he will be at receiver or DB, but I do think he's going to be in the mix for a role on special teams (maybe even as a returner).

*Throw in Nate Strong, who I haven't heard a lot about, but who I would expect to get some time this year, and that is 14 (counting Okwuegbunam/Scales as one) of 23 signees who I think have at least a decent shot to see the field this year. Two of the nine I think are very likely redshirt guys are quarterbacks, which is kind of different than other positions.

I've long said that the better teams play more young guys. That's because they're recruiting guys who can play. If you don't play many freshmen, there are two possible reasons: Either you have a really good team coming back (Missouri probably doesn't) or you're recruiting guys who are better than the guys you already have on campus.

Gary Pinkel redshirted a lot of guys. He did it partly because he put a lot of stock in experience, but also because he had an established program and could look three or four years down the road. Barry Odom is starting fresh and I don't think he'll worry about four years from now. He's looking to get rolling in year one as quickly as he can. Plus, even though 2016 was not the most highly rated class, I think the staff identified positions at which they needed immediate help.

I'm not saying every guy listed above is going to play. And I'm not saying guys listed aren't going to. Just passing along some names I've heard a few times in the last couple of weeks. I would set the over/under on number of newcomers who play at 10. Some of them obviously are juco guys. But even if you take them out of the mix, I think you're looking at probably six to nine freshmen who will see the field in some capacity this season.

Just a little something for you guys to chew on with camp coming up in three days.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.