ADVERTISEMENT

Notes from a chat with Jim Sterk

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
--Good chance they're sold out of season tickets a month before the season starts. That number is around 12/13,000 including 4,000 student tickets. Says it is his expectation for the bigger games that the place will be full (obviously Christmas break games, game against teams that don't bring many visiting fans could be a little lower).

--Called Robin Pingeton "the most valuable player in this whole thing." Said Pingeton's team has some talent and is poised for a very good season.

--Met with Steve Bieser yesterday, is hoping to get field turf in the baseball stadium prior to next season.

--Has plans for a campaign that "showcases all our needs." Said they're not in a position to take on any major capital projects without donor support.

--Said Mizzou has 7900 donors. Average in the SEC is between 11 and 12000. A&M has the most at 18000. Said last year was a record setting year, the annual fund is up significantly, but they've got to get more donors involved.

--Said they were at 37000 season tickets in football last year. SEC average is about 67000. "We're in a league where there's some significant donor bases and ticket bases and it gives them an opportunity to be more flexible" with the way they spend.

Football Notes:

--"We have to play better. You can ask Barry or any of the players. We've got to play better."

--"I think they'll be a lot better this Saturday and the rest of the season...We've got nine to play. We can still win the division. We can still do those things that they were setting goals to do at the beginning of the year, but we've got to play better to do that."

--I asked him if it was safe to say Barry was the coach for the rest of the year and he said yes. Not his style to do things midseason.

--Asked if he ever mandates staff changes. He said only if it's a unique situation. "I leave it up to the coach as far as their decision. I'm not going to say you've got to fire this guy or you've got to hire that guy because that doesn't work."

--He said he's been surprised by the play. "Would I have guessed that a team would score 35 on us? Maybe. But for us to have three is not something that I would have expected."

--Said football is about 70-75% of their overall revenue, including 40% from the SEC money. Tickets are about 20% of the revenue, donations 20-25%.

--Said he saw an article where 12 of the 14 SEC coaches are supposedly on the hot seat. "That's kind of crazy." Says social media has given everyone a voice and ramped up the pressure and decreased patience with coaches and ADs.

--I asked if there was a general rule for him how many years it takes a coach to rebuild a program. "Unless there's something crazy, it's usually three or four years (in football)...I've been impressed with Barry. The kids that are here want to play hard for him. They're collectively together and I expect them to pull together and play a heck of a lot better the rest of the season."

--I asked him about his statement before the season that the goal was six wins. I said there were some who interpreted that as saying Barry had to win six games. "No, that's not what I was saying...Did I tell Barry he needs to win six games? No. I never tell a coach a number."

--On the academic investigation: NCAA has all the information it needs. "I don't know a timeline. I would guess by spring that should be done. It won't be years."

The audio of this 21-minute chat will be posted as part of our podcast next week.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.