ADVERTISEMENT

Our QB Brady Cook...

CHUNKS

All-Conference
Gold Member
Jul 15, 2001
will by his own standards, feel like he made some mistakes that need to be executed against SEC opponents. I am not trying to say anything other than he is our starting quarterback and is the player we are relying on to take this team to a CFP berth.

That being said, there was one play that really concerned me because it didn't involve a physical mistake but a mental mistake.

Just before halftime, MS was called for a roughing the passer penalty that moved the ball inside the 3-yard line with 17 seconds on the clock and one timeout left.

Brady then held up the play to step to the line to either change the play or get the O-line on the same page. The time started at 17 and ran to 8 seconds before he realized that the clock was moving and we got the snap, which was an incomplete pass with 5 seconds to go. Now it didn't really hurt us because Brady scored a touchdown on the next play.

What is concerning is we could have actually had a third play IF NEEDED if we snapped the ball at 16 or 17 seconds and not completed the same pass. We then could have run a second play with the timeout in our pocket before kicking a FG or scoring a TD. If no score, then TO and a third play would have been there.

It took me back to the strange events versus K-State and the delay of game penalty. Our coaches and our on-field game manager Cook will need to be more mentally prepared for these situations because one day it could jump up and bite us in a big way.

Again, Cook is our QB but a fifth-year senior with starting experience should already be prepared.

Sorry to ramble. MIZ...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.