ADVERTISEMENT

our slow defense and offense play calls

doya

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
DeLand, Fla
I see many posts about our slow defense. Yes, it does look slow. But I don't think our defenders got slow overnight. IMO, you look slow if you don't know where you are going and what you are doing. This is another sign of our staff doing a poor job. Plenty of fast players run 4.8 40s in the nfl combine but they look fast cause they don't think, they play. All summer our coaches say they want our defenders to "play fast"...well, that's what that means...its not 40 time...it's anticipation and knowing what the opponent is doing...acting not reacting. The question is why ? Is Odom doing a bad job of coaching his defensive coaches ? Are the coaches not converting their knowledge to the players ? Somewhere there is a disconnect from Odom's mind and what is getting into the minds of the players causing a defense to react and not act.

As to the offense. All summer we heard about how with 11 returners...and a 2nd year in the system the playbook could open up. Yet in 3 games have we run a jet sweep ? It seems like our run game improved late last year based on the misdirection caused by the jet sweep....Whether the WR takes the the ball or not it causes the linebackers and DE to at least freeze for a second....In Baylor's prime it seemed like the jet sweep was an option on almost every play....This year I have seen nothing but conventional handoffs where the defense can just flow straight to the ball....And what happened to the TEs which also had multiple catches the last 3-4 games of '16 ? Our offense has seemed to regress not develop....just some observations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.