ADVERTISEMENT

Parrish: TCU shows investing in a coach pays dividends

mjharr

Retired Number
Nov 30, 2015
In March and April, TCU and the hiring of Jamie Dixon stirred discussions, at least based on my memory, of what can happen if you invest the right way in hoops.

Parrish goes at that idea in his column.

Here's the money paragraph:

So now TCU has, under Dixon, secured commitments from four-star prospect Jaylen Fisher (No. 68 in the Class of 2016), four-star prospect R.J. Nembhard (No. 118 the Class of 2017) and, most recently, Samuel. The latter two commitments are enough to give TCU, at this moment, the nation's No. 9 recruiting class, according to 247Sports. And it's worth noting that the nation's No. 1 recruiting class currently belongs to Auburn, which brings me back to my initial and larger point. Again, with few exceptions, there is no reason why any Power 5 school can't be relevant in men's basketball as long as it A) commits strongly to the sport financially, B) builds top-shelf facilities, C) hires the right coach who hires the right staff, and D) provides that right coach and his right staff with the resources necessary to compete.

And more:

"...seven of the top 10 classes in the country, according to 247Sports, belong to schools that did not play in last season's NCAA Tournament. They are No. 1 Auburn, No. 2 Washington, No. 3 UCLA, No. 6 Illinois, No. 8 Arkansas, No. 9 TCU and No. 10 Creighton."

Look, this will be perceived by some as bashing Kim, but I'm sharing to emphasize the fact that if Auburn, TCU and Creighton can get in the mix for elite talent, then Mizzou can, too. If I'm Sterk, I keep nuggets like this in mind moving in to the 2016 season. There are facilities. There are dollars. And prior regimes have shown you can high-end talent to Columbia.

Also: Non-traditional powers on coming hard. Butler, Creighton and Providence have all had really good classes in the past several years. TCU is on the make. Mississippi State and Auburn have coaches with proven track records. Barnes, I think, can get Tennessee pivoted back the right way.

Non of what I'm posting is revolutionary. I've just evolved on what I think Kim needs to do to stay. I figured that if this team got in the mix for an NIT bid and won 17 games, he might able to make a case. Not a compelling one, but there would be something. But barring a major breakthrough in the 2017 class and a 20-win season, I think you reset.

Normally, I'm patient and a pragmatist. I liked some of the stats that came out of the Italy trip. Maybe Barnett is a revelation, TP becomes a really good floor general and the trio of Jackson, Walton and Hughes gives us some production at the two-guard spot. Maybe the basketball is better. But I'm not sure it will be enough. Meanwhile, the TCUs and the Auburns are going to keep investing.

Reactions: TheZouKeeper
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.