ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Post Game Thoughts Bradley

mizzoucobra

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 30, 2006
tumblr_my1ghfK6Y51qdlh1io1_250.gifv

Could probably stop there, but we trudge on.

1. So, where to begin...I'll start with Bradley. I was hopeful this wouldn't be a...trap...game, it shouldn't be. I think it was more a matter of a poor start that snowballed. Rust was almost certainly af factor. Whatever the classification, it was a tough game. And Bradley is pretty adept at making games just that. You may be unaware, but Bradley now owns the top ranked 2 pt FG defense in the country, allowing 35.8% on said shots. If I had the foresight I would've checked before this game. Regardless, that number doesn't get to number all by one game. They know how to lock teams down inside. They've got unusual size for a mid-major to do so. They now have two one point losses to high majors on the year (Xavier 51-50). They have the ability to make shit tough. They did. They have a good coach and a winning pedigree (two straight MVC titles and ncaa tickets). Obviously they didn't get to participate a year ago, but two years ago they had Sparty on the ropes down 1 with 5 to go. They ended up losing by 11. Anyway, rambling...

Bradley had the game plan to muck this up. They had the personnel to do it. They've done it before. And they did it tonight. Props to them. No one will confuse them for an elite team. But a team that will likely be playing for an auto-bid? Yep.

2. Not every team will be able to do what Bradley did. Defense isn't just talent. It's ability, size, athleticism, discipline, teamwork and communication. But a "book" is being formed on how to defend Mizzou. Don't let the Tigers beat you down the floor. Don't go over ball screens. Sag on the roll man. Drop into the paint. Make Mizzou finish in heavy traffic or beat you from outside. Mizzou didn't do any of those things tonight. Not every opponent will be able to do that to Mizzou. But I can guarantee you they'll try. And the team I KNOW can, just happens to be up next on the schedule. Mizzou wasn't running "bad" offense. Their offense simply wasn't getting the shots they wanted, and weren't able to make the shots they were given. That's a really bad combo.

3. About midway through the second a familiar script had emerged. Mizzou wasn't getting open shots inside. Offense was frustrated. Threes weren't falling. Opponent was gaining confidence. Some rando started catching fire. The Game Thread was lit (I assume, didn't read it). Had all the hallmarks of a Mizzou flop after an incredible start. And that's what it was. Until it wasn't. If there is a game against a solid opponent that can both: 1. Get a group's attention to get your shit together and 2. Come away with a win...this was it. There's something to be said about playing poorly. They did. There's something to be said for snatching victory out of the jaws of defeat. They did. Mizzou has lost these games before. A lot of them. Haven't won many. Georgia a year ago qualifies (see below for more). But these games can be important. Both in the "don't do that again," and "we've been here before" if they are. Winning is a skill. Skills take practice. This one counts towards that.

4. The old high school coach, the redneck prophet said..."You guys gotta get buckets to get wins." True words have never been spoken. Mizzou didn't get buckets tonight.
2PT: 13-42 (31.0%)
3PT: 3-21 (14.3%)
Rim: 10-22
eFG: 27.78%

I don't know what the record for worst shooting performance is by a Tiger team, but that's got to be up there. Going back through the Kim years the lowest eFG% I could find was 28% by the 2015 team against Kentucky. It was THAT bad.

5. Another criticism has to be the defensive rebounding. Mizzou cleaned it up a bit in the second half. But allowing Bradley a 34.1% oREB rate is inexcusable. Bradley may not have cracked the 10 point mark in the first half with effective board work. But it wasn't, and they did. There's no excuse to control the boards against a team like Illinois and not against Bradley.

6. On the plus side, Mizzou did only turn the ball over 8 times, which over 68 possessions is actually pretty good. And getting to the line 26 times, making 19 (while allowing 5-10) was a huge factor as well. Those things that a year ago KILLED Mizzou allowed them to win it tonight. So take heart, it wasn't ALL bad.

7. Naming an MVP in this one seems inappropriate. But we do it anyway. Jeremiah Tilmon finished with 12 points, 10 boards and was 3-8 from the field, which was pretty good on this night, and made 6-9 free throws. He scored 6 points over the last 4 minutes, including 4-5 from the line. Those were BIG makes. And that's after cleaning up some misses for putbacks just before that stretch. Credit to the big man for finishing the game strong. There aren't many games where you can look back at and say..."Tilmon won that game for us tonight." That's not a slight. Most games don't hinge on just one guy and one guy alone. Tonight...I think that's the case. Mizzou was getting NOTHING from anywhere else.

8. Torvik's site just populated. Mizzou finished with a game score of 68 tonight. Mizzou under Martin has been 2-33 in games with a "game score" of under 70. Notching wins over UGA last year and Kennesaw State in 2018-2019. Not generally a recipe for success.

9. I'll be doing some wrap-up's and look ahead's over the next few days. Natural break point between the non-con (save for TCU) and conference. Barnes and English await in 8 days.

10. Really odd not having bragging rights be the final game before the holidays. As noted last time, I'm generally torn up after that game. So, sobriety demands that I wish you all a happy holiday season. This was one to be thankful for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.