ADVERTISEMENT

NEW STORY POST SPRING POSITION BY POSITION BREAKDOWN

GabeD

PowerMizzou.com Publisher
Staff
Aug 1, 2003
Columbia, MO
missouri.rivals.com
Wanted to offer some thoughts based on what I saw today and add some quotes, things I've heard, etc. We'll go position by position.

QUARTERBACK

Drew Lock
is the starter. This is not in doubt. Into the fourth quarter, no other QB had a first down, while Lock was 9-13 for 138 and two touchdowns, had 18 yards rushing and took just one sack. This is a competition in name only in my opinion.

"From that scrimmage, I think he’s the number one guy," Richaud Floyd said. "He’s had a big jump from last year."

"I would say Drew did some really good things, Marvin (Zanders) did some good things as well and then Jack (Lowary), I think he’s played a little bit better than some of the throws I saw him today," Barry Odom said. "But I’ve got to also realize he’s a freshman and all three of those guys are going to be a whole lot better in September than they were today.

RUNNING BACK

As far as the guys on campus, Ish Witter is number one and it isn't close. He had 13 carries for 43 yards and three catches for 33, all those numbers easily the best of the backs. Didn't see much of Shaun Conway or Trevon Walters. Ryan Williams had six carries for six yards and Marquise Doherty wasn't in spring camp.

"I think he, maybe as much as anybody on the offensive side of the ball has transformed his body," Josh Heupel said of Witter. "Because of that has competed in a much more confident fashion as we have progressed through spring ball. I think he saw himself doing things that he maybe physically would not or could not do a year ago. He’s starting to make very good decisive fast vertical cuts. He’s running with a great physical presence, finishing runs and gaining an extra yard or two. I like the direction he’s taken his game."

"Whatever they want me to be, I try to be," Witter said. "Whatever they ask me, I’ll try to do it. It’s their offense so I’ve got to be the person they want me to be."

There is going to be playing time available for Damarea Crockett or Nate Strong and honestly, probably both. I asked Odom specifically about that position for the incoming players.

"I’ve met with a bunch of those guys today, our signee class and they’ve got the message that I expect them all to come in and play," Odom said. "I don’t want any of them to have the mindset that they’re gonna sit there and eat popcorn on the sidelines. We need to have the urgency as a coaching staff to get them ready to go and that’s at every position. I wouldn’t argue, those two spots (running back and O-line) we’ve got to get them ready.”

WIDE RECEIVER

Still so much to be determined here. But Richaud Floyd made perhaps the biggest impression compared to our expectation (which as we've said we can't know about what we don't see so I don't feel too bad not knowing about him). I've hyped J'Mon Moore before based on practice so I'm not going to do that all over again, but I will say he still has the most physical ability. I think those Moore and Chris Black start along with Keyon Dilosa. Nate Brown will contribute, but I think is in danger of getting passed up. Johnathon Johnson can help too, but obviously has to be able to stay on the field. I think Emanuel Hall figures in here too, but he didn't do anything on Saturday. I don't know how many snaps Justin Smith will play, but they've got to have some packages in there for him.

"Just physically he has the ability, especially in that part (red zone) of the field, to be a game changer," Odom said of Smith.

I think those are your top six, at least before the incoming recruiting class gets here. Lock indicated they had five or six guys who could step right in and do the job.

TIGHT END

Kind of strange that Sean Culkin had enough reps and didn't need to go on Saturday according to Odom. I guess that means he has the starting job on lockdown, but I don't know. Didn't see a lot out of Jason Reese (one catch, -2 yards) or Kendall Blanton (no catches). No matter who plays this spot, he's going to spend a lot of time lined up in the backfield.

OFFENSIVE LINE

Sam Bailey
is your starting center. Looked to me like Tyler Howell, Paul Adams, Kevin Pendleton and Alec Abeln. Tanner Owen and Adam Ploudre are in position to play as of right now. Nate Crawford will start if healthy, but that's a big question mark. Lock joked that he called the line the Elite Eight because there were only eight of them. Tough to read this position today because there was so much rotation Bailey said there hasn't really been a traditional two deep.

"They’ve been doing an awesome job. I’m proud of them," Witter said. "They actually make us work even harder just because they’re working with only eight people."

"The negative is that you’re not nearly as deep as you need to be. Kids that are coming in are going to have to go out there and be ready to compete," Heupel said. "The positive is they basically are getting a ton of reps and it’s helped push them to a better understanding, getting better in the things we’re asking them to do. It’s been difficult, but it’s also going to help those eight, nine guys in the long run."

Expect Trystan Castillo and TreVour Simms to have every chance to compete for playing time and at least one more 2016 lineman to potentially be added before the summer.

DEFENSIVE LINE

This is all messed up due to injuries. Charles Harris didn't play today but will and the same goes for Nate Howard. Walter Brady and Harris will start, Howard probably second-team with either Spencer Williams or Marcell Frazier. Inside, you keep waiting for Josh Augusta to be first team and I assume he will be with Ricky Hatley (depending on what Terry Beckner's status is). I'm not counting on Harold Brantley at this point. This is the position I feel like we knew the most about coming in and learned the least about today.

LINEBACKER

Michael Scherer and Donavin Newsom are going to start. I'm going to bet that Terez Hall is the third guy with Joey Burkett as the fourth. I was mostly focused on the offense today and couldn't really tell you who jumped out in this group.

SECONDARY

TJ Warren is starting and I don't expect him to give that spot back to John Gibson. Aarion Penton is going to be the other starter. Gibson and Logan Cheadle should be second-team. At safety, Anthony Sherrills is going to start and I think Thomas Wilson is the other guy (Cross has talked highly of him) with Cam Hilton as the fifth defensive back and third safety. There could be some playing time available for freshmen here as well, although Ronnell Perkins may be good enough to keep the redshirt on the newcomers.

SPECIAL TEAMS

They weren't live today so you can't make any judgments. Corey Fatony will punt and Tucker McCann will kick. Chris Black and Finis Stribling were deep to field the first kickoff and Penton was handling the punts. Johnathon Johnson could figure in here, but again, we haven't seen him in a live scrimmage other than a few series in the opening one last August.

A lot will change. Odom said they didn't give the players an actual depth chart, wanting everyone to compete for a job. He said he will meet with every player soon and give them an idea where things stand, but this staff is stressing competition and that every job is open. But given so little access and knowledge throughout the spring, I thought it was important to go through things position by position to give you all an idea of what I took away from today.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.