ADVERTISEMENT

NEW STORY QUICK 1ST QUARTER THOUGHTS VS. MURRAY STATE

JHamilton23

All-American
Staff
Jun 18, 2022
1. Murray State went for an onside kick to start the game but there was a penalty and it didn’t recover.

Makes sense. The element of surprise was there but it’s a gamble. A super short field with this offense is crazy but what does Murray State have to lose? Nothing.

Brady Cook led a six-play TD drive that went 42 yards in two minutes and 15 seconds. This is Cook’s 18th straight game with a TD. He completed a 16-yard pass to Luther Burden.

2. Mizzou figured them out.

It took four game minutes and 10 real-life minutes for Mizzou to figure out Murray State. First, the failed onside kick. Then, the Tigers walked the Racers down in two minutes and 15 seconds before holding them to a three-and-out.

That was the whole basis of the element of surprise, and it's all gone.

3. Toriano Pride with a pick-six in his first game.

Well, this is just a cheap plug for my story that I did earlier this week.

He returned an interception 25 yards to the house for a touchdown in his first game for Mizzou. I know he was talking a lot of trash after that one because he is the team's biggest trash-talker.

Also, this is the fastest game Mizzou has ever had to score 21 points and it took five minutes and 19 seconds. It was SE Louisana in 2012 when the Tigers scored in seven minutes and 25 seconds.

MUR 0, MIZ 21

4. Marcus Carroll gets his first touchdown.

After he ran through someone's face like his favorite running back (Marshawn Lynch) for a gain of 20 yards. He got a one-yard touchdown to get his first touchdown.

It's a stat padding type of night. This is the most points in the first quarter of an opening game for the Tigers. The most points in a quarter is 35.

MUR 0, MIZ 28

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.