ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL QUICK 2ND QUARTER THOUGHTS VS. NO. 24 BOSTON COLLEGE

JHamilton23

All-American
Staff
Jun 18, 2022
1. Keep toting the rock on the ground because nothing else is really happening.

He has four carries for 47 yards. He ran the first two plays of the team's second possession and then Marcus Carroll ran on the third play and got five yards. So, just run the ball.

However, that leads to nothing — Mizzou punts from BC's 48-yard line. There was one play where Theo Wease should've got some help with a defensive pass interference but there wasn't a flag. Then on third and six, Cook overshot Mookie Cooper on an out route that would've led to the first down. He was getting pressured, though.

Cook is 4-of-9 for 34 yards.

2. Defensive miscommunication

I've seen at least twice now that the defense is having communication issues where they don't know where they're going. Then, BC capitalizes. That happened on BC's first touchdown. Mizzou should've called time out. Then, on a third and four Sidney Williams is trying to communicate with his fellow defensive backs and Castellanos throws towards the flat where Williams should be and the Eagles pick up the third down for a gain of 15.

3. A muffed snap leads to a BC touchdown.

Castellanos is the truth. He muffed the snap and then rolled left and had two receivers he could've thrown to for the 67-yard touchdown. He chose Reed Harris and now BC is up double digits.

That one was on S Marvin Burks' watch. The receiver looked like he was doing a screen or something and then he just ran straight past Burks. I think the muffed play led to Burks running to the ball instead of covering the receivers.

BC 14, MIZ 3

After that an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty called on S Joe Charleston on the kickoff. Mizzou starts on its 10-yard line.

4. Missouri answers kind of.

Cook had a pass that looked like it went through a defender's hands but Luther Burden caught it for a gain of 44.

A couple of plays later Connor Tollison snapped the ball early to Cook when the QB wasn't ready and it was almost a disaster. The offensive line on passing plays isn't great but on run plays the unit is phenomenal. Mizzou is averaging 6.5 yards per carry. A couple of plays later Mookie Cooper drops a pass on what was a less-than-accurate throw from Cook. Mizzou settles for a field goal from 38 yards out.

BC 14, MIZ 6

5. Tre'Vez Johnson with an interception leads to a touchdown drive.

The safety comes up with the interception and gets 22 yards. MU starts the ball on the 25-yard line and a few plays later Cook connects with Burden for a 19-yard TD. Mizzou gets the two-point conversion with Noel at running back on a wildcat run.

BC 14, MIZ 14

Missouri hasn't played that well and it's still in the game. That's a good sign. However, I think it has to tighten up. I'm not a fan of how the secondary has been playing. Castellanos is connecting. I know MU isn't trying to rush because it's trying to keep contain on the QB and if that's the case the secondary has to do better.

That's bad clock management by Eli Drinkwitz. He got a first down with 17 seconds left and didn't call the timeout and then only gained nine yards before calling the timeout.

Blake Craig nails a 55-yarder that could've been good from 65.

End of 2nd: BC 14, MIZ 17

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.