ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL QUICK 2ND QUARTER THOUGHTS VS. VANDERBILT

JHamilton23

All-American
Staff
Jun 18, 2022
1. Good red zone stand.

Chris McClellan got a TFL on second down and then Zion Young did it on third down. McClellan has had some plays this year where he's really flashed. On his TFL he moved whatever IOL in front of him back a couple of yards and got in on the tackle. Young always has a play a game where he flashes. He had really good contain on Pavia on that third and three play. Vandy settles for a field goal.

Vandy 10, MIZ 7

2. Vandy kicks a dribbler and Mizzou doesn't handle it well.

Marvin Burks poorly fielded that kickoff. He lets the ball go behind him to lose like 10 yards and then when he picks it up he doesn't go forward he's going west to east and almost takes a safety. Gives me a flashback to Marquis Johnson fielding a punt at like the one or two-yard line last year. Missouri has to do better.

3. Nate Noel is a baller.

He needs to be No. 2 in the offensive pecking order. Behind Burden, Noel needs to have the ball more. I like Carroll but Noel needs to have 20 carries a game at the least. I mean he's so explosive. He gets the chains moving. On second and 20 he picked up 17 yards off outside zone. Like, this is pretty easy.

4. 91-yard drive all for nothing.

Missouri went 13 plays for 91 yards and Blake Craig missed a chip shot from 24 yards out. He's 8-of-11 on the year with a long of 56 and a short miss of 24.

VANDY 10, MIZ 7

5. Defense makes up for it. The offense has to score.

The defense handled business and Chuck Hicks got a sack to force a punt. Burden had a 16-yard return wiped out by a block in the back penalty. (Tigers have to stop shooting themselves in the foot). If Mizzou scores before halftime (4:23 left in the quarter as I write this) then Mizzou will be okay because it gets the ball after halftime.

Mizzou runs a play and Vamdy gets the TFl and wastes 30 seconds before calling a timeout. Like what are both teams doing here?

6. Clock management strategy at the end of the second quarter?

Missouri had the ball at the Vandy 7 and decided to run a play on first down right before the two-minute timeout happened. If Vandy scores then its because Mizzou just saved them a timeout. Vandy currently has three timeouts. Don't like running that play before the two-minute warning.

7. The passing is breaking?

So two field goals inside the 10-yard line. Craig knocks it in from 23 yards out, but this passing attack seems off. Cook is 10-of-15 for 98 yards and a touchdown, but it doesn't feel that way. He's been hesitant and some of his passes haven't looked that great. It's not time to ring the alarm and put in Drew Pyne or anything but something with this offense and Cook doesn't seem to be in sync. At least, not how we know the offense can be.

However, the deep shot to Burden with about 40 seconds left was on Burden. Cook put it on the money and Burden has to come down with it.

8. Why?

Fourth and 3 at your own 42-yard line and you go for it with 15 seconds left. You don't call a timeout even though you have two timeouts and now Vandy has a chance to score with eight seconds. Terrible clock management in the last two minutes. If you're going to go for it wait until there's no time left and then throw the hail mary.

I can't explain what Drinkwitz was thinking. That three points they gave up from 57 yards away is ALL on Drinkwitz.

End of 2nd: Vandy 13, MIZ 10

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.