ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL QUICK THOUGHTS ON MIZZOU AT LSU AT THE HALF

drewking0222

All-American
Staff
Jun 20, 2022
-Definitely not the start Mizzou wanted or needed. I didn't understand the decision to come out in a zone against LSU. They shoot 47.1% on 2-pointers, which ranks in the bottom 60 in the country. I get that KJ Williams is a good interior scorer, but he's not a Tolu Smith type of post-scorer. The rotations were bad too -- Parker Edwards should not have been that open. Adam Miller should not have been that open. @JHamilton23 and I could make those looks from the corners (I would make more though). It's some of the worst defense they've played all year. In what world does LSU shoot above 70% from deep?

-I think this goes back to what we've seen in previous games this season: Mizzou has a tendency of playing to its level of competition. They usually show up for big games, but they also usually don't play with the same energy against lesser opponents. It's a habit you had hoped they would've kicked by now.

-Offensively, the team looks tight. They started playing frantic once LSU went on its big run. They aren't getting the turnovers that let them play freely and LSU is really making them work for every look. A lot of their shots have fallen in and out.

-Kobe being in foul trouble hurts the chances of a comeback. He wasn't having a good night before that but you'd feel a lot more confident if he could stay in the game. They've gotta rely on a couple of guys getting hot from 3. They've shot it OK, but not to the level that they're capable of.

-DeAndre Gholston is a huge reason they're not down by 20. Yes, he's made some bad decisions tonight and taken some questionable shots. But him and D'Moi Hodge are the only ones who have anything cooking right now.

-Red Panda is performing at halftime and this measly crowd does not deserve her.
Screenshot 2023-03-01 205506.png

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.