ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Quotes from the two coaches on the fight

mitchell4d

Retired Number
Gold Member
Jan 2, 2018
Dan Mullen (from his sideline interview with SEC Network after the game, since I couldn't get on his postgame Zoom):

“I think obviously it’s tense. You know, from my understanding, our guys thought they took a late hit on our quarterback. They’re going to protect him, you know what I mean? That’s their guy. And I think they were going to protect him. I think both sides were trying to get people off the field, but everybody was a little bit edgy and probably went a little too far with it. I know we were trying to get our guys off the field in the middle of it all. The coaching staff was trying to get the officials in the middle to get them off. But, you know, it is what it is. An emotional game sometimes. I don’t condone it. Not real pleased about how it all played out, obviously. But the great thing, when you look at both teams, how they played the second half. … I give Eli great job, and both teams called immediately down, go back and play some football. And both teams did that. That’s a real credit to Mizzou and their coaching staff, our coaching staff. I mean, it wasn’t what we want at halftime, but we cleaned it up.”

Eli Drinkwitz:

“Honestly, I don’t really know (what happened). I was watching, my eyes were on the ball. We played the ball, the ball was knocked away, I started running in and saw one of their coaches on our hash yelling at our guys, and then I saw more of their players join in and then our players joined in, and we gotta keep our guys from joining in, we gotta keep our guys from the sidelines. It’s an ugly scene, it’s an ugly scene for football, its’ an ugly scene for college football, and I’m not proud of it, and I don’t know who started it, but yeah, we gotta figure it out, we gotta get it fixed. Like I said, it’s disappointing. I’m not for that at all. And I don’t know why they were running over to our hash. I have no idea what even kind of they were yelling about, so we’ll take a look at the film, but I’m sure we’ll find out more tomorrow when we watch the tape. Film doesn’t lie.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.